Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their steering wheels? I think I remember someone posting that they had put on the FR500 steering wheel. Has anyone thought about going aftermarket? It would mean removing the airbag. The current steering wheel is just so plain jane. IMHO

Brad

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have thought about going with the FR500 steering wheel but I'm waiting to get my hands on one to see how much difference there really is before I pay the big bucks for one. I didn't even consider going with a steering wheel that deletes the airbag, I would jinx myself and end up with a mouth full of MOMO.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the FR-500 on both stangs and I think it's the best bet because you retain the factory airbag.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It has a better feel to it and is thicker than stock.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
AND it's got that perforated leather that looks more like our front seats!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
So the big question is, how much? Should it be installed by a dealer, or is it a do-it-yourself kind of thing?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just a pointer from the factory service manual that I found a bit interesting...

The airbag controller box has it's own internal battery. Makes sense. Well, before servicing the airbags or messing around with stuff near the airbag controller they suggest disconnecting the car battery and getting a nice cold beer (-B Actually they said to wait 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery before starting work but a cold beer makes a better story.

There is also a special Ford tool that you can plug in in place of the airbag for testing of the control box. Sounds like just the ticket to bypass a passenger side bag if you want munchkins to be able to sit in the front (if you just unplug the bag the controller is smart enough to detect the fault and signal an error).

Those service manual CD-ROMs on Ebay are pretty good. I picked one up for $16.00. I would recommend it for just this type of R-n-R question. They are kinda weak on hard specifications however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts