Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to replace the clear lens/cover over the gauges? Mine has a few scratches in it and I wondered if anyone has posted a procedure for how to remove the old one. I'd rather ask someone that's changed theirs, before I go tearing into my dash.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
EASY!!!

If I remember correctly..

1. Remove headlight knob. A little screwdriver will help. It's shaped like this ---/--- The / being a little lock plate.

2. Remove gauge surround.

3. Remove gauges.

4. Remove lens...

Total time is like 20 minutes.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Very simple procedure. I put gauge surrounds in recently. Hardest part is the headlight knob. You need two different torx head bits to remove the screws. Have you priced that little piece of plastic? I would try a good polish first. I had a few lite scratches in mine and was able to polish them out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...I thought of trying to polish them out, but the scratches are fairly deep, so I wasn't sure. Anyway, I'm surprised that you have to remove the entire gauge cluster, but it sounds like it's not too tough. The plastic lens is less than $20.00...so that's not a big deal.

So, there are two sizes of torix bits needed? Are these for the screws that hold the grey plastic gauge surround? I took a look at the screws this morning and they appear to be the same size.

I was mainly concerned about hidden clips/screws/wires. It's not like you can open an assembly manual and look through illustrations on how to disassemble things...like the good 'ol days.

·
Registered
771 Posts
DHG1641 said:
I was mainly concerned about hidden clips/screws/wires. It's not like you can open an assembly manual and look through illustrations on how to disassemble things...like the good 'ol days.
Heh heh...

It is if you have the 2001 Ford Service Manual... Or have bought ExplicitAuto Trim Rings... :)

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
The first size you need to get the gauge cluster out and the second size is for the actual gauge cover. I can't believe a Ford part is under $20!! In that case I would swap them out too. I'll see if I can find my instructions i may have tossed them.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Unhook the battery first.
I suggest using a Memory maintainer before unhooking the battery...this is to eliminate any PATS issues etc.
<FORM name=prodform action=/_shopping_cart/index.cfm method=post>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript><!--var num_option_groups = 0;var option_group_names = new Array(' ',' ')function modSelection(group_order){imagestring = 'optionimage'+group_order; window.document[imagestring].src = '/images/thumbnails/'+eval('piclist'+group_order+'[window.document.prodform.option'+group_order+'.selectedIndex]');new_dep_group_string = 'new_dependent_option_groups_group'+group_order;window.document.prodform[new_dep_group_string].value= eval('child_option_groups_ids_list'+group_order+'[window.document.prodform.option'+group_order+'.selectedIndex]')};// --></SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=6>
Car Memory Maintainer<O:p</O:p
<O:p></O:p>
Tired of resetting your car's digital clock?<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Before you disconnect your car's battery, simply plug in our Memory Maintainer to hold important functions like your clock setting, radio station presets, stereo tone adjustments, and engine computer diagnostics. Just plug it into your cigarette lighter. Uses a 9-volt alkaline battery (included). <O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR><TR class=product_buying_header><TD></TD><TD>
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 95%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>35808 <O:p></O:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>Memory Maintainer w/Battery From AUTOSPORTS<O:p></O:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD><TD></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR class=product_buying_listing><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts