Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing on the floorboard as of yet but I'm thinking the heater core is going out.

When I really get on it the smell gets stronger and of course on these cold mornings when I do turn on the heater/defrost the smell is really strong.

Anyone think it could be anything other than the core going out? Anyone wanna change it for me? lol I hear there a nightmare to change.

I'm fixing to start searching for the best price for one. Any help in this area would be appreciated also.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been doing some research and looks like Summit has the best price so far... NOW anyone know of a step by step on this? Been google searching and I can't really find anything for our Year or even close.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
Funny you should say that, I have the same thing..no coolant leak I can detect or determine from it being missing (low on coolant) but when I turn the heater on, I smell it. this just started but I also have to say that it has been since I changed the t-fitting, although I did that way prior to having to use the heat. I smell it for awhile and then it seems to go away. I don't see anything anywhere.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know that's exactly word for work, symptom for symptom as mine. Didn't start till I changed the T-fitting. There is no smell outside the car or under the hood. Only inside and it will eventually go away.

Gotta figure I did my change out back in the spring so yeah it's been awhile since I changed mine and it wasn't until I needed to start using the heater that I noticed the smell.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
almost gotta be something to do with that......

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If it is the heater core (which I hope for your sake it isn't) here's the basics-

1) Pull the dash.

2) Replace heater core.

3) Replace the dash.

If you have done this before (as I have) it should take around 7-8 hours. If not, got a weekend?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I've heard it was a dash removal project. Something I'm not looking fwd to BUT now I'm wondering if it does have something to do with the T replacement Frankenstang and I have done this past year?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
240_Bullitt said:
if it is the Heater core buy a ford one...i installed 3 aftermarket ones over the years and all have leaked within a year...i will never again install a non oem heater core
Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I replaced one in a Fox body Mustang,and it is a chore pulling the dash back.
When Ford builds a Mustang,the first thing down the line, is a heater core,sitting on a stool. Everything else is attached to it or around it!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I pulled the dash out of 4902 and I wasn't even being all that careful, I pray that I NEVER have to do it in 2180 or 4175!!!! I would plan it as an entire weekend project! I hope it turns out to be something else.

·
Registered
159 Posts
+1 for OEM, I had this part replaced after about eight years in my 97 GT, only to have the aftermarket piece go bad again 18 months later. It had the identical symptoms you're describing.

Since you're going to be pulling the whole thing apart anyway, it would be a good idea to spend the extra cash to replace the entire heater core and AC evaporator assembly. Both parts have a bad habit of leaking after a number of years, and you don't want to pull the dash apart to replace the heater core only to need to do it again when the evaporator goes bad!

K

·
Registered
197 Posts
Its cold here in Chicago and the same thing. I smell antifreeze. I'm the second owner and I'm due for a thermostat.(70k) This thing takes awhile to heat up. Once up to temp it stays all day without moving. What i do is crack the window down for a minute and blow the air to the floor. This is my way of a simple fix for now. LOL

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like we should set up a group buy here for heater cores and AC Evaporators. :lol:

Reactions: JUST 1BULLITT

·
Registered
879 Posts
didnt anyone fix theres yet. i just bought the core yesterday. Im still pandering on having a friend through work professionally do it for some $ or learn to do it with friends. Im scared to mess it up and have my bullitt rattle yikes

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just replaced my heater core a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure about doing it myself, but it actually wasn't to bad. I got it done on a Saturday afternoon. I noticed mine by the sweet smell whenever I would get on the throttle. Mine never showed any leaks on the firewall or carpet. Once i pulled the housing I found that the coolant was in the defroter duct and foam was satuated in coolant. If I waited to much longer, I would have had a lake of coolant inside the car. Was able to get the dash pulled away enough to pull the housing out without pulling the entire dash out of the car. It would have been to heavy by myself. lol. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I waited too long. Mine started leaking into the floor board last night. Looking at the pictures above I'm that far with the interior except for some reason I can't get the center console out and it's really PIZZIN me off!!
I too was thinking tonight I'll just move the console what I can and then try to remove the core box. Wife unit is picking up me a new core today.
John, I called the dealership last week to just check on a new OEM core and they were $90 something. For all this trouble I'll pay extra for OEM and peace of mind..I don't ever want to have to do this again!!! EVER!!

I too have tons of pictures and will do a small "How To" once I'm finished.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah once I pulled the drivers seat and was heading in the house with it I decided to hit the scales while hold it, then as I walked back out of the house I hit the scales again... 59.8 lbs is what the drivers seat weighs if anyone was wondering.

Reactions: JUST 1BULLITT
1 - 20 of 67 Posts