Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have read many many posts about rotors, pads, fluids, and lines. The inconsistency in opinions has left me very confused. So here is a post seeking opinions, complaints, and suggestions

So here is the deal... Car has 90,000 miles on it and i had the rotors turned and pads replaced with motorcraft all around at about 65,000 miles. Rotors are now warped and the rears are not turnable (too thin) and since i had the brakes done at 65,000 have never noticed better braking than before they were done. No clue if the brake fluid has ever been replaced since i have not done it since i got the car. The braking has deteriorated in the last 5,000 miles so im replacing. My goal is to get better braking than when our cars were brand new but not much more than that. Nothing extreme

Im gonna get new rotors all around with new pads and a brake flush but im not gonna upgrade the lines since i dont take it to the track, just occasional heavy braking when i play around town.

Rotors: Not really looking for slotted or cross drilled because i would like to be able to turn them if need be. So opinions on stock replacements from brembo or another brand?

Pads: Here is where i get confused. I have heard good things and bad things about Hawk, EBC, and motorcraft. I know that performance pads squeak and make dust but have read posts about people saying their's dont squeak. I dont need an extreme pad but dont want a squeak and minimal dust. EBC red stuff claim very low dust? Opinions, complaints, or suggestions?

Brake fluid: again just want something better than stock but not something that has very high boiling point for road racing and such.

Whatever information you guys have for me about any of these parts would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I didn't bleed the brakes as I was told not to crack open the lines unless absolutely necessary. At the mileage yours is at, it's probably necessary. Several months now after the install, and I'm still satisfied.
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155629

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
I have the EBC red stuff pads I am about to put in mine, along with stainless front lines and a fluid flush. Not sure why anyone would say not to crack open the lines unless you have to....necessary for certain things that you have to do or should do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have hawk hps pads, theyre pretty good for a street pad, you could go hp plus which is also a nice pad but they are alot more dust.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed every two years at the least. I use ATE Super Blue Racing, brake fluid. Always buy in a can, it keeps the moisture out.

Make sure the operating temperature of the brake pads match the driving you are planning on doing.

The advantages of SS brake lines are out weighed by the higher maintenance and shorter life span compared to rubber for the STREET. Not my area, but I believe the people that really need them change them every season.

Most rotors are not warped but instead the pad material is transferring to the rotor unevenly and gives you the bump bump in the brake pedal when braking. I have had some luck with cleaning the rotor with the 3m scotch pads on a drill, green or brown color. IT will remove metal and you could end up turning them anyway.

Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Hi Guys,
Scott Hoag recomends Motul 600 brake fluid and Performance Friction pads. The pads are available at AutoZone.

I chose Powerslot Cryo rotors and stainless front hoses.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
No track time for me. I replaced the front rotors at 100k with Wagner's. $55.00 each. I have Autozone pads. Can't remember which ones but they were around $50. Everything is very smooth and it stops well on the street. The pads don't leave a ton of dust but more than what I had on previously.

I had the rears were replaced at about 80k. New pads (I think Wagner's) and the rotors turned. No problems there.

I flushed the system using DOT 3 synthetic (not silicone).

Brake pads follow suit just like oil, filthers, etc.... Everyone has their favorite. The main thing is that the job is done correctly and that you use good parts and not cheap Chinese or other import rotors, etc...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Here's my choices - along with Earls braided lines and fresh Motul 600 every year (since I track the car).

Street Setup:
-NAPA- Cobra/Bullitt Premuim line of rotors are Bendix brand made in Canada
-SHO SOURCE- Cobra/ Bullitt factory replacement PBR brake pads
http://shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104

Track Setup:
-Brembo- Premuim slotted rotors
-Hawk- HP+ or Blues

=-=-=-=-=-=-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts