Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if this question has been asked before but…

Should the hero car be brought back to movie condition or left to the current “state of arrested decay.”

My vote would be brought back to movie condition, It makes me sad to see that rusted rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
It will only be original once.

As soon as you start messing with restoring it then questions arise as to if it was "good enough" or "correct enough". Now it just is what it is. Sean can do with it what he wants, but I appreciate that he tried to keep it as original as possible.

The other car is supposedly being done as a "no expenses spared" restoration and I'm sure will be extremely nice. They'll end up with a large chunk of money in it and my guess is that it'll never be worth as much as the car that's well over 90% original.

·
Car Whisperer
20,666 Posts
leave it.

Reactions: DavidMidgley

·
Administrator
6,150 Posts
At this point, given it's story, I would not touch it at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
According to Hagerty, the real value of the car is in its backstory and the efforts Sean's family made to keep it as it was and private. That being said, to me any efforts to restore it to "movie" condition would diminish the value. It is a surviving piece of movie history, as well as for a long time, a family's main source of transportation and a father and son project car. Let the jump car get restored to "movie" condition, but I bet it won't be as valuable or treasured as Sean's.

·
Premium Member
18,414 Posts
Ironically, it's the "Jump or stunt car" that we see the most of in the movie. It's the car that was banging down the hills, cutting the corners, bashing the Charger. It was the car speeding through the canyon at full song with the GT 40 sound track dubbed in. Yet, it was the car thrown away.

The Hero car got the close up shots, but those frames are a small part of the movie. Is this an indictment of either one? Nope. Just analysis of the two. There is no choice on restoring the Jump car, it was mostly rust, it could have been left to finish evaporating into dust, but isn't. The Hero car is mostly original, and would probably be totally original except that an accidental bump bruised the front and necessitated repairs. Otherwise, I'm sure it would look similar to the back end of the car. Lightly corroded. Body rust through and filler exposed, it's still a piece of history. Leave it alone. It's been messed with enough already.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
The only thing that I can see changing would be to make sure to address any rust issues. Would not want it rotting away just because someone was afraid to touch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts