Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has not had (yet) the clattering that I have read so much about. I would like to help you guys figure out whats going on though. I am looking in to a couple other things right now that may not be related at all. But one quick answer would help out.

The question: If you have the engine noise, do you have aftermarket headers or stock manifolds on your Bullitt or GT?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2002-01-15 23:36 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Keep them coming. If one person still has the clattering with aftermarket headers it will blow this theory out of the water. I will explain more later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2002-01-16 13:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would suspect it would be a little hard to hear with headers.

It's piston slap. Ford knows it and we know it and they know we know it.

And, BTW Ford, I have a rev limiter attached to my leg. I don't need another one.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Stock
<font face="Times New Roman" size="5"><sup><font color="#1111">BLACK BEAUTY</font> #4995 Born:08/11/01 - Home:08/28 [

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt4995 on 2003-12-04 21:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
783 Posts
Piston slap..all the time or only when cold? The only time I have ever heard an unusual sound is when I took the car out early one morning in 15* to 20* weather before the car was warmed up. As I excellerated through 3500 rpm it made a loud ticking noise that freaked me out because I had never heard it before. Once warmed I could not duplicate the noise. From what I have read this is a result of Ford switching to the short skirt pistons and is a normal sound in a cold engine, really cold in my case, and is nothing to worry about.

So what's the theory? Exhaust leak? mine is stock by the way.

Black Bullitt #3185

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LesnTea on 2002-01-16 15:12 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
So what's the theory? Exhaust leak? mine is stock by the way.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe not a leak, but a weird resonance that occurs only in certain conditions. I don't believe the piston slap actually exists in this many vehicles. People have had engines swapped only to have the exact same problem. Not just here but in other lines of vehicles. And the thing is no one can actually document where it is coming from. Early on, people thought it was the exhaust, then transmission, then engine.

I'll get back with more later. Again, I may be wasting time here, but it is worth a shot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2002-01-16 15:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you need to hear it. If you heard mine, you'd know right away it's not pre-detonation, it's not an exhaust manifold leak, it's not a tensioner, it's not a "resonance". FOrd's not going to say it's an inherent internal engine problem if there's a chance it could be anything else.

And, since so many of us are reporting it, wouldn't it stand to reason a replacement engine would have a high chance of having the same problem?

One other note. The exhaust manifold comes up to operating temperature faster than any other engine part. As Dennis said, this persists all the way up to mid-arc on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
198 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-16 16:05, Cupfan wrote:

And, since so many of us are reporting it, wouldn't it stand to reason a replacement engine would have a high chance of having the same problem?

I'd think so (those who know my story are probably laughing).

But then again i decided to let the dealer put a new engine in mine; same noise is there.

Drove three other Gt's; both did it.

thats like going through 5 motors and they all did it.

Anyway: stock manifolds here.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nothing on Bullitt 1676 has almost7000 miles on it and solid as a rock! The only thing I do notice is that when i shut it down sounds like a 747 whining down! sounds kinda cool!
Thanx Havgun#1676

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stock Manifolds on my GT. Stock H, with side exhaust that utilizes Dynomax super-turbos.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bullitt #00155 is completely stock (no aftermarket headers) and has the preverbial "engine sound".

I live in the Hi-Desert and experience both hot and cold weather conditions. I purchased the Bullitt in July and up until October-- no "engine sound". I did not experience the sound until the morning after my first oil change (5W-20)! I was concerned that the oil was a factor or the sound was the result of a cold morning start, as it had been pretty cold that morning. I talked with a local lube shop, whom assured me that the oil met the manufactures specifications. I have since changed the oil a second time and am still experiencing the "sound".

Having owned a 57 Chevy Pickup with an inline six cylinder, I have heard the sound loose rocker arms make. It is a distinct "clattering" sound and is almost a dead ringer for the sound my engine makes while cold and running thru the 3000rpm range. It is not the same as the sound generated by predetonation and definitley is not the simliar to or a result of dieseling. As the engine warms up the sound diminishes and is it just me or though inaudible it seems as though it is still there!?

It would be very interesting if someone
could actually record and post the sound so we could all say "THATS IT!... THATS THE SOUND!!!"

For those of you whom have taken your Bullitt in to be serviced (in an attempt to isolate the sound), I want you to know how much I appreciate you posting your particular situations -- THANK YOU.

While typing this I could not resist and I broke out my owners manual, I could not believe what I just saw. On page 154 it reads "If a replacement oil filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up engine noises or knock may be experienced" -- No it couldn't be???

DAVE

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On 2002-01-17 04:35, Bullitt00155 wrote:

While typing this I could not resist and I broke out my owners manual, I could not believe what I just saw. On page 154 it reads "If a replacement oil filter is used that does not meet Ford material and design specifications, start-up engine noises or knock may be experienced" -- No it couldn't be???

DAVE

Before getting to that part, when I was reading about the oil change. I thought, I wonder if they used a Motorcraft filter? In researching this noise(or these) I ran across a thread on a Ford Truck board talking about engine noise related to the use of particular filters. Ford filters like the 820S has a silicone anti drainback valve and should be used.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2002-01-16 13:31, 01GTB wrote:
Thanks. Keep them coming. If one person still has the clattering with aftermarket headers it will blow this theory out of the water. I will explain more later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2002-01-16 13:36 ]</font>

JBA Headers. Had the noise stock and still have it now. :sad:

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Stock Cobra and have the same problem. I can hear it at lower rmps as well when I feather the gas pedal. Plus I can hear a similar sound when the engine is warm - just doesn't have the loud metal tap - sounds very muffled or lubricated --- like what was mentioned above. I'm not sure if that is what I should be hearing or not? I am just assuming it is related to the problem.

Tony
01 Cobra

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On 2002-01-17 06:46, mjchip wrote:

JBA Headers. Had the noise stock and still have it now. :sad:

Mark

Well that theory can be eliminated then. Thanks for the reply.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2002-01-17 13:30 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts