Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed retro rings this morning.

A couple of thoughts on this install: Dropping one of the 8 screws that hold the bezel and having it land in the undercarriage of the seat slows the project down (especially since the battery is disconnected and you can't move the seat). So does dropping a gunmetal colored T20 bit on grey carpet. Being obsessive about dust in the bezel housing also makes a 1 hour project into a 2 hour project, so a can of compressed air is a must.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've done 3687 and love them...

Enough that I got a set for my fiance's 01 GT. However, she says she'd rather have the satin finish instead of the chrome.

Both installs combined were more effortless than putting gas in the car.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Sounds hard to install

the nickel city kid said:
I installed retro rings this morning.

A couple of thoughts on this install: Dropping one of the 8 screws that hold the bezel and having it land in the undercarriage of the seat slows the project down (especially since the battery is disconnected and you can't move the seat). So does dropping a gunmetal colored T20 bit on grey carpet. Being obsessive about dust in the bezel housing also makes a 1 hour project into a 2 hour project, so a can of compressed air is a must.
I want to get the satin finish retro rings but the install process sounds difficult to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did mine in the parking lot at work in about 25 minutes. Really that easy.

Tip 1: If you have to massage the openings a bit (less involved than it sounds), a metal pen with the tip retracted works best and is less likely to mar the clear plastic lens.

Tip 2: Didn't have a hook tool to remove the headlight knob, but a brad nail held by the point in pliers did the job in no time. Hooked the nail head under the clip and pulled.

Will be ordering a set for the convertible

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Looks like another mod for #0005. Those look great and add to the retro theme...John

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Happy with Chrome in Philly
been on for nearly 2yrs now

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just ordered mine. Looking forward to getting them in...John R

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thoes look great, I think I need some. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drove the Bullitt for the first time after the install this morning and noticed that the fit on the small fuel gauage ring isn't quite right and I catch a glint of the back of the ring in the sunlight. If I ever take the bezel apart again I'm going to paint the back of the rings (the part that faces out) black so I don't see it. Something to think about if any of you are just getting going on the install.

I also had to shave the openings a bit on mine. I used an exacto knife. Building models cars as a kid finally paid off. BTW - the install instructions that come from explicit auto are great.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I used a small round shaft screwdriver to reshape my openings, the fit just great. I guess cutting the opening would be very touchy.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just ordered mine, didn't see the group purchase post....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts