Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm cruisin south on 395 last night just mindin my own business on my way to a friends house. Both windows are rolled down enjoyin the cool (for once) summer weather, when a ricer pulls up next to me. I was in 5th gear and I hear him get on it. I immediatley went for 3rd, struggled for a sec as I was all excited, and finally found it. Then I heard the weirdest damn thing from his car. It sounded like a pssssssst. I couldn't even hear the engine rev or anything. Maybe because mine was roaring, but I could still hear this psssssssst. Is that nitrous or did he just switch from mice to squirrels? I've never been next to a car with the windows down and heard that sound before. Needless to say, whatever he had in there, I pulled away from him relatively easy. The fact that I never even hit 4th, was enough to convince me he didn't have nitrous, but... We both slowed again to let the traffic clear, just in case my winning was some sort of fluke. Same damn noise as he drifted into my rearview mirror. :smile: We both happened to make the same exit and he wouldn't even look at me. Oh well, maybe next time. Anyone have any idea what that noise would be? It was an Acura, but not sure what type. He didn't have any stickers on it, so that could have been what was slowing him down. :smile:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think if it was nitrous, you wouldn't have heard a PSSSSSST. You would have just heard the engine scream bloody murder.

I think he blew a manifold gasket, or a vaccuum line, or a mismounted tire, or a subwoofer crossover, or a high performance seat cushion, or his bowel or his bladder!

Don't feel bad. Many a Bullitt owner has been fooled into folly by ground effects and a thumpity sound from a passing rice-a-roni.

He might have recognized that you were driving a 'stang. It isn't important that he didn't recognize your fun-loving nature and satisfaction with your Bullitt.

He just went home to lick his wounds.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like he blew something - rolling start and all. He coulda had nitrous and cranked it so high he parted one of the lines.

I've noticed around Houston that the ricers have invaded Germany so to speak. VWs and BMWs with coffee cans. Today, I even saw a Mercedes with AMG badges and coffee cans.

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
and just what exactly is with the ricers and the coffee cans hanging...are they trying for the megaphone effect to sound like they have something bigger than mom's maytag under the hood...I haven't figured out what's up with that look...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still love the joke on "9 Ways to Cook Rice." That just kills me everytime I watch it because it's sooo true. :smile:

·
Registered
360 Posts
yea, my kids all make the babababreee noise whenever we see a ricer cruising around. :grin: :lol: :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittgirl on 2001-09-18 21:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
My vote for the Coffee Can King is the VW GTI ricer with 4, count 'em 4, coffee cans on dual twin exhausts in the NW Houston area. I don't see how the car even got to 45 mph with all that extra weight dragging around the rear end. :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL. They can always double as wheelie bars...oh wait..those cars are front wheel drive! I wonder if he knows that. It's to smooth out the airflow around their, matched set and specter analyzed, rims and tires. LOL I can't help but laugh when I see these guys bee bee bada beeeeeee on down the road.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anyone else hear the ads for the new Lexus factory ricer? Some sort of Rally version of te IS300.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-09-22 19:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi,

The PSSSSTTT you heard was more than likely a blow-off valve on a turbo car. I'm told that the ricers even set them up to sound like air horns some time. In case you're wondering what they're for, here goes: say you're honking on your car in second gear and your turbo is all spooled up and making it's maximum boost, now you take your foot off the gas to begin the process of shifting to third.......well, the throttle plate completely closes and a pressure wave bounces off the throttle plate and heads back for the turbo outlet. If there was no blow-off valve, it would cause the impeller to slow WAY down. The blow off valve releases this rapidly increasing pressure near the throttle plate before it can form a reflected wave which would otherwise travel back down the ductwork and to the turbo. Therefore, the turbo maintains it's high speed between shifts. As you know, it's the amount of time that the impeller is accelerating (and therefore effectively creating boost) which is known as turbo lag.

Hope this helps,

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjchip on 2001-09-20 23:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like you boys could use a resident ricer for those questions you have about those pesky imports....

He's absolutely right...that sound was more than likely a blow off valve...aside from keeping up spool time, it also protects the turbo from damage...in extreme cases the compressor wheel can stop so fast from the pressure wave that it could snap the axle that connects the compressor wheel and the exhaust wheel....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either way he was toast, regardless of what he did to his car. He probably just had a fire extinguisher, you know the one that's usually mounted on the pillar, running to an open hose just so he could make the car sound fast. After all, isn't that what having a ricer is all about, how it looks! :grin:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure if y'all know this, but the ricers have this little device that makes a fake hissing noise to fool people into thinking they have a turbo :roll:. If I recall correctly, it's some type of electronic deal that does absolutely NOTHING to increase the power of the car. It just makes the noise. I'll make a post on Corral.net to see if anyone has a link to the web page advertisement for it, since I can't seem to find it myself. It's worth a laugh or two. I've never actually heard of anyone having one, or encountering someone with one.

Jonathan

·
Registered
42 Posts
As if that is not the extent of it, they also make fake plastic intercoolers too!! I think you can find any of the parts at the website. They are made by visracing.com ....I think. Don't know for sure...cause I got the real deal! :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts