7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: July 18th Riverside International Automotive Museum

*** see post #48 page #4 for July 1st update ***

Looking a Saturday July 18th for the SoCal RIAM Big Bear Rally

The Agenda / Plan:

0800-0900
Cars & Coffee Irvine ... 7905 Gateway Blvd Irvine,CA 92618
ralley point alpha: check out cars & stage for 1st run ... 44 miles ETA 45 min. (to rally point B)

1000-1030
Riverside International Auto Museum ... 815 Mariborough Ave Riverside,CA 92507
ralley point bravo: stage of 2nd run / driver meeting ... 50 miles ETA 60 min. (to rally point C)

1130-1300
B's Backyard Barbecue ... 350 Alden Rd Big Bear,CA 92315
ralley point charlie: Lunch & stage for 3rd run / driver meeting ... 60 miles ETA 90 min. (to rally point D)

1430-1600
Riverside International Auto Museum
ralley point delta: visit museum & say good-byes and
then we just cruise home with lots of fun memories of friends spending a fun day
together and thinking about just what can we plan for our next SoCal BULLITT Adventure.

Road Warriors List: Total 9

OK w/July 18th

1. 01 DHG 1005 ... 'Have BULLITT will travel' aka Michael
2. 08 BK 1883 .... rocky aka Rocky
3. 08 HG 0253 .... jim253 aka Jim
4. 08 BK 1206 .... brDofFire aka Luis

Looking for re-confirmation from below Road Warriors:

5. 01 TB 4219 .... socalblue aka Chris
6. 08 HG 1867 .... FASTFRED aka Fred
7. 01 DHG 1078 ... DHG#1078 aka Kevin
8. GT DSG 56 ..... DSG56 aka Ben
9. 08 HG 0987 ... clancysbullitt0987 aka Clancy

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Michael ...

I'm in. please let's make this happen.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like fun! I've been wanting to check out the Riverside Raceway Museum for a long time. I used to work literally blocks from the museum and never knew it was there. I don't mean to make anyone feel old but I was too young to remember the races there very well. My parents took me there every year as a kid.

I know there has been alot of construction on the roads and freeways in the area so hopefully we can plan a cruise that avoids all the mess.

Keep us posted Michael on what you come up with. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Count me in! We used to go to Riverside and stand in the infield at turn 6. You could see the cars in the last part of the esses and then brake for the hard right - great place for photographs. I miss the place, and didn't even know there was a museum.

7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
McQueen in sprit will be there !

Here's Tony Adamowicz wikipedia bio: pretty cool !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Adamowicz

said he talked to Chad McQueen and he might be able to make this RIAM BULLITT Event.

Let put on out thanking helments on and come up with some fun stuff to do !

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I have great memories of Riverside when I attended USC from 1964 to 1965.

My first event was the SCCA Nationals. Many great names from the past in amature racing ran such as Ronnie Bucknam, Merle Brennan, Bob Tullius, etc.

My next event was a month later to see the famous USRRC race - the " LA Times Grand Prix".I still have the program and poster!

One of the greatest fields in road racing history was entered - Jimmy Clark, Graham Hill, AJ, Penske, Gurney, Mario, Rodriguez brothers, Surtees, and many more .

Pole sitter and race winner was Parnelli Jones in a "King Cobra" it was a Cooper Monacco built by Carroll Shelby..
Last year I met him and told him what a thrill it was to see him prove he was among the best in the world. He really appreciated that comment.

My final Riverside moment was when a friend and I jumped the fence on a weekday to see the first Shelby GT 350 tests.
We were invited but not told the time or taht the track would be closed so we just "trespassed".

Seeing that car drift around turn nine and roar past us made me a Mustang fan for life .

And that ,of courese ,led to my Bullitt over 42 years later.

7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May / June ... we can put our tops down !

DHG#1078 aka Kevin, not sure yet!

Need to talk to RIAM, get input from those interested on activites ... but I'm working on it, will let everyone know as soon as the plan takes shape.

on your six ... DHG 1005

7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
check out this photo. rocky and me with our BULLITT Jackets on ... look at the image on the back of my jacket right above BULLITT, it's Steve McQueen '68 Mustang.

The sprit of Steve McQueen is with me ... must be a Irish thing !

on your six ... DHG 1005

click on the photo to make the sprit bigger

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
FCMCBULLITT said:
Memories ! Hey Matt, I was stationed at March AFB several times, `61-`63,`66-`68 and `73-`77. The Raceway hired the guys from base for security, and I worked for a ton of races there the first 2 tours. 10 bucks and a boxed lunch per shift. Some funny stories. They had infield camping for the weekend for the big events. The sun went down and the pot smoke went up.:lol: :lol: Les Richter would show up in his Bermudas and flip flops some evenings at the main gate, and give use lessons on inspecting motor homes that might be harboring Peeps without tickets. Amazing, It's a Mall and subdivisions now.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm interested, but my schedule is nuts. Will wait to confirm until an actual date is chosen.

Jim5081 said:
Memories ! Hey Matt, I was stationed at March AFB several times, 73-`77.
At the risk of making you feel like you've been around awhile, I was BORN at March AFB in 77. My Father was also stationed there from 75 to 79 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
DSG 56 said:
At the risk of making you feel like you've been around awhile, I was BORN at March AFB in 77. My Father was also stationed there from 75 to 79 if I remember correctly.
I left in January of `77 for Korea, so I missed your arrival. Worked at 15th RTS, first Building on the left passed the main gate. Small world and one Bullitthead or another has been every where!

·
Registered
718 Posts
DSG 56 said:
I'm interested, but my schedule is nuts. Will wait to confirm until an actual date is chosen.
I'm with Ben. Would like to participate, but I'm "on-call" a lot at work and will be making out my schedule for May thru Aug next week. Unless I have a specific date for an activity in advance, I'm SOL and have to say maybe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hay guess who's bro would let him slip thru the gate? hehe. i always thought them nascar fans were burnin tents, thats why i (sleeped) in the truck. hot fast dusty, r.r formula cars were great.

7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
never won but we had fun !

Lc coupe aka Lc, yep back in my college days we built a FV, FF, FA, and raced at
Riverside all the time. Young and fun was the name of the game ... now it's
old but fun is still the name of the game !

on your six ... DHG 1005

7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Saturday July 18th SoCal BULLITT Adventures !

here is a plan ... what do you think ?

Saturday July 18th SoCal RIAM Big Bear Rally

0700-0830
Cars & Coffee Irvine ... 7905 Gateway Blvd Irvine,CA 92618
ralley point A: check out cars & stage for 1st run ... 44 miles ETA 45 min.

0915-1000
Riverside International Auto Museum ... 815 Mariborough Ave Riverside,CA 92507
ralley point B: stage of 2nd run / driver meeting ... 50 miles ETR 60 min.

1100-1300
B's Backyard Barbecue ... 350 Alden Rd Big Bear,CA 92315
ralley point C: Lunch & stage for 3rd run / driver meeting ... 60 miles ETA 90 min.

1430-1600
Riverside International Auto Museum
ralley point D: visit museum & say good-byes and
then we just cruise home with lots of fun memories of friends spending a fun day
together and thinking about just what can we plan for our next SoCal BULLITT Adventure.

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
FCMCBULLITT said:

My first event was the SCCA Nationals. Many great names from the past in amature racing ran such as Ronnie Bucknam, Merle Brennan, Bob Tullius, etc.

My next event was a month later to see the famous USRRC race - the " LA Times Grand Prix".I still have the program and poster!

One of the greatest fields in road racing history was entered - Jimmy Clark, Graham Hill, AJ, Penske, Gurney, Mario, Rodriguez brothers, Surtees, and many more .

Pole sitter and race winner was Parnelli Jones in a "King Cobra" it was a Cooper Monacco built by Carroll Shelby..
Last year I met him and told him what a thrill it was to see him prove he was among the best in the world. He really appreciated that comment.

My final Riverside moment was when a friend and I jumped the fence on a weekday to see the first Shelby GT 350 tests.
We were invited but not told the time or taht the track would be closed so we just "trespassed".

Seeing that car drift around turn nine and roar past us made me a Mustang fan for life .

And that ,of courese ,led to my Bullitt over 42 years later.
Great story I grew up close to Sears Point in Nor. Cal., but never got to see the greats of the old Trans/Am series there. I did see some of the great drivers in the IMSA/GT series though.

7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
check post #18

Have a proposed plan w/time schedule ... this ralley will be a 100+ miles of curves, great BBQ, and a visit to a SoCal Automotive Racing Museum ... what more could you want!

thinking about a Saturday in June /July time frame.

on your six ... DHG 1005

1 - 20 of 73 Posts