Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find who helped with the creation of the Bullitt or who's idea it was but I saw this video on Youtube and it looks like Jack is claiming to have come up with it and he has Bullitt #1. Is this true or can anybody enlighten me about the origins of the 2001 Bullitt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Gt8LqV4MY . If this link doesn't work go to Youtube and search Roush Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Roush was involved with Team Mustang in creating the first Bullitt prototype. The car in that video is a 2000 Mustang GT that was converted into a Bullitt. The car is now part of Jack's collection.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Team Mustang was tasked with coming up with a SE Mustang each year. Sean Tant, Chief Design Manager for the Mustang, had a poster of a 68 movie car replica in his office at the time. He looked up and said that's it!! A Bullitt Mustang. He drew the rendering and was the lead from Ford at the Roush facility to build the concept car. He had a photo of the 68 movie car in his office at the time. Sean spend Christmas vacation at Roush to get the car ready for LA.

A short history booket was given out at the 06 Nats. I put it together from several different sources. I'll see if B-Man will post it up on the main page.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Scott was one of the people that had the passion to make the 01 Bullitt happen. I feel it was in large part this site and the passion shown by Bullitt owners plus our yearly national event that made the case for a new Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
It was to my understanding, that it was the idea for the wheels that originally gave them the idea to make the car, and that the first drawing of the Bullitt was actually on a napkin by someone on the ford design team...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
And yes, the wheels should have been Black in the first place!

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
TheCat033 said:
It was to my understanding, that it was the idea for the wheels that originally gave them the idea to make the car, and that the first drawing of the Bullitt was actually on a napkin by someone on the ford design team...
The wheels were already in the design process as part of some new wheel designs from Superior Industries for Ford. They took on the Bullitt name after our car though. As for the napkin, when I interviewed Sean, he did not remember anything about a napkin. His first idea and drawing was in his office at Ford. But he said there were many meetings and discussions after his original rendering so that may be what was being refered to.

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
The wheels were already in the design process as part of some new wheel designs from American Racing for Ford. They took on the Bullitt name after our car though.
Actually Superior Industries International was and still is the supplier of the Bullitt style wheel. They also did the '03/'04 Mach 1 wheel and the original 20" F-Series Harley Davidson wheel.

http://www.supind.com/about/CarList.aspx

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Too bad Ford couldn`t have made some kind of deal with American Racing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. I can't believe I've never heard any of this. I've had my car for over 3 years and have always been a fan of them since they came out and I had no idea how they came to be. I've been a mechanic at a Ford dealer for over 24 years and have never seen this info before from Ford.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Jack refers to the movie car as a "67" :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts