Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
Well, if you want one of these babies, my bet is if you wait just a little while (following the release), they will be available for 1000 under sticker. Ebay bids on Shelby GTs rarely exceed sticker price. So the 08 Bullitt .....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Well, if you want one of these babies, my bet is if you wait just a little while (following the release), they will be available for 1000 under sticker. Ebay bids on Shelby GTs rarely exceed sticker price. So the 08 Bullitt .....
I don't feel there will be significant '08 Bullitt mark-ups due to several reasons...
1.) Mustangs, like all Ford products can be available using the A/X/Z plan; if you have a sponsor. I'm pretty sure you can not use the A/X/Z plan on Shelby's (although previous SVT products were available on a dealer voluntary basis).
2.) Current Mustang GTs, at least in the Detroit area, have a $1000 cash back rebate. If this keeps up, there is no reason the '08 Bullitt's will not have the same cash back. When I bought my '01, there was a similar $1000 cash back. I believe the '03/'04 Mach 1's also had rebates available. A current '07 Mustang GT coupe is available for about $2700 below MSRP including X plan pricing and cash back.
3.) The production run will be longer and larger than the '01's. Dealers will have more of them to sell and frankly (no pun intended ;)), the Bullitt will not have the Shelby 'glamour'.
4.) Except for the Ford GT, anything with the 'Shelby' name has seen the dealer mark-ups. Yes, there were mark-ups when the original '05 Mustang GTs came out, but I believe it was short lived.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm dissapointed in the new Bullitt. I do not think it will be a hot seller. The Shelby Gt's are not selling well and the Cobra has cooled off considerably.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Disappointing news. When will Ford realize they need something between the Mustang GT (and its variations) and the GT500... something near the 400 hp mark???? Time for the little 4.6 to grow up!

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
I wasn't around before the 01 came out but it seems that this is exactly the same talk that was around and why IMBOC got started.

Same reasoning in 01 - Ford needs something between the GT and the Cobra. They should have put more HP in it.

Fast forward to 07 - Ford needs something between the GT and the GT 500.

It is going to be basically the same modifications as our 01s and have about 42 more HP. As a former Team Mustang member stated to me " The car is what it is". We can complain about it or we can welcome new members to IMBOC since they are going to need a refuge from the other forums.

So it's your choice. I for one will be welcoming new members and old ones that purchase the 08 Bullitt. Will it "devalue" the 01? My feeling is no. It will also bring the opportunity for better regional and national events by drawing more people and hopefully more sponsors.

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
It is going to be basically the same modifications as our 01s and have about 42 more HP. As a former Team Mustang member stated to me " The car is what it is". We can complain about it or we can welcome new members to IMBOC since they are going to need a refuge from the other forums.

So it's your choice. I for one will be welcoming new members and old ones that purchase the 08 Bullitt. Will it "devalue" the 01? My feeling is no. It will also bring the opportunity for better regional and national events by drawing more people and hopefully more sponsors.
I agree.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Dealer mark-ups? Never. Mustangs of all flavors are selling below sticker.
Sticker on the '01 was $27k. I paid $21k. New.

Dealers are starving. Walk in and tell them what you want to pay. The agree or you leave. With 7,500 or these many Shelby GT's which is basically the same car and the guys with big wallets buying GT500's or base GT's to customize this market is full. Ford kept the models too close together and while they'll all sell and be loved, I think any specualtion of getting gouged should end. This will be a fairly priced vehicle.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Very good write up! I think the 2001 Bullitt will go down as the best package. We got a special intake pacakage not available on any factory Mustang.
If still able to purchase a new performance vehicle,going to retire in a copule years, it's time I look at GM's offerings. I gave up on Ford!

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Mus408 said:
Very good write up! I think the 2001 Bullitt will go down as the best package. We got a special intake pacakage not available on any factory Mustang.
If still able to purchase a new performance vehicle,going to retire in a copule years, it's time I look at GM's offerings. I gave up on Ford!
Good luck with that. The new Camaro will be just as over priced if not more so than the Mustang. V-6 at around 25K and the V-8 over 30K is what he is getting from Chevy. Chevy dealers are waiting with baited breath to ADM the heck out of them too. The SS/Z28 whatever they decide to call it will be only one to get the Vette engine, will MSRP for around 45K is what my brother in law is hearing from the dealer he works at but they won't be selling them for that... Affordable 400 HP power is a thing of the past.

It will surprize me if they can get the new Camaro in under 4000 lbs since the Mustang is smaller and is just south of that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is still gonna be overpriced. You can get a Mustang GT for around $23 and change and like the overpriced Shelby GT it is only filled with less than $3k of FRPP parts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
2001 Bullitt and 2003-4 Mach 1 may go down as the last of the great deal for performance cars.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is my belief that the '08 Bullitt will be a very nice car. I think the general public will be very happy once pictures are out and they start arriving on the lots. All 7,000 will sell...some with discounts just like some of us got when we purchased the '01's. I picked up mine for $24K out the door.

I will however say that I have no reason to purchase an '08 when I already have an '01. I'm perfectly satisfied with the '01 and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get into it.

Furthermore, I will not feel bad in the slightest when I see an '08 pull up to my '01. I'll welcome him/her to the Bullitt family and look forward to the future Bullitt events.

Bottom line...let's not all get caught up in the negative hype. Sure, speak your mind, etc., but also try to be a bit positive. This is the best Mustang site on the net, without a doubt. Let's preserve what we have and continue to set the example of what a car club is all about.

Cheers,
Steve

p.s. See you all at the Nationals!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
With regards to the lack of HP issues, suspensions upgrades, etc., it's like this ...

1. FORD does not EVER do anything it does not have to do to make a buck. Remember, FOMOCO is a business and the bottom line is to PROFIT as much as possible (which often means selling the "least" you can get away with).

2. Would it really hurt Ford to give us 325-375 HP, a six-speed, special oil pan/windage tray, oil cooler as OPTIONS ... ???

(ANSWER: NOOOOOOOO)

3. Could Ford also give us a 2003-2004 Mach I engine, or a 5.0, or a 5.4 option ... ???

(ANSWER: YESSSSSSSSSS)

4. Does Ford have to sell LE/SE Mustangs with such a high profit margin? Probably not, but what can we do? Can Ford HQ exert some sort of "CONTROL" over the dealers gouging us?

They probably can (but will they?)

What everyone that is critiquing this new model is missing is this;

If the car does not NEED those options, frills, etc., to SELL then why bother with offering them?

We (the buyers) all know what would be nice from the purchasing end, but we never think of the "business" end.

Obviously, Ford does not have much muscle car competition right now (at the moment there is NO CAMARO, NO FIREBIRD, NO BARRACUDA, etc.) so they don't have to offer a BULLITT or any other LE/SE with any more than is necessary to pay for the program and PROFIT.

A while back, I wrote a fairly lengthy narrative of what I would like to see the 2008 BULLITT have. When I was writing this I WAS FREAKIN' SERIOUS ... I actually expected Ford to read this web site and build what I suggested (or at least offer as options) OR NOT BUILD THE DAMN THING AT ALL.

I still feel this way now.

I remember back in 1970 when it was announced why Shelby would discontinue the Shelby Mustang program. One of the main underlying reasons was that Ford engineers were builidng models that were giving the Shelby Mustangs a good run for their money, to include in appearance, speed, and sales (i.e. the Boss 302, the Mach I, the Boss 429, etc.). I am sure there was some sort of agreement reached with the Shelby company (and other similar companies) for Ford NOT to build too hot of a car that would compete with the other "customizers". This isn't fair in my opinion but that is the way it is.

In closing for now, so far I like what I have seen, but I am not so convinced we will get the most "actually available" for the money we spend, nor will we until Ford is forced by the competition and the market to offer all it can for the money folks are willing (and/or able) to spend.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't have any negative feelings about the 08 joining the stables.

However, the color game just got a little better. 01 - True Blues - Rarest Bullitts (and fastest) hehehehehe.

We all have no choice to sit and embrace what we are offered.

Why no 400 HP Mid-level Mustang? I'm sure that means Ford would have to certify what ever engine that plan included. Is it worth it for 7700 cars? I know that GM felt that the Buick 3.8 EFI Turbo motor wasn't worth sliding into anything but the Grand National and T-Type Regals. Olds asked for it, GM turned up their noses.

Look at some of the other offerings from the Ford camp... How hard would a 5.8 Factory Fox have been? What about a 5.4 other than in the Cobra R? Nah, requires testing and money.

In the end, I can't remember exactly who said it, but... Ford's a business, they are supposed to make money. They aren't doing a great job of it lately....

Maybe Ford could listen to the people and forget the bean counters.... It's only a matter of time before the Camaro and Challenger mop the Mustang up on the streets and sales floors.

Either way, I have my 01, with a smile on my face. I've got a Ranger in the garage undergoing transformation and a fiance tooling around in an 01 GT waiting for the 2010 Camaro regardless.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
High Profit Margin?? Ford is not making hugh profits on any of these cars only the dealers. If you look at the invoice price on a Premium GT it is around 27K. Ford cannot really have much of a say in what a car is sold for because they have already sold it to the dealer. The price they get is what the market will bare. If you thought you could get 18K for your car and it was sold to you fro 10 K wouldn't you try to sell it for that???

Wait til the Camaros come out if you want to see ADMS.

Engines require several years of certification before being placed in service. So the likelyhood that they would drop a premo engine in a Bullitt was not likely from the start. If any of the rumors are true the Boss or Mach will be around in 09/10 to fill the gap and go Camaro hunting. Even retuning a 5.4 from a truck would require emissions cert all over again and the gas gussler tax will be added.

I would have to agree that Shelby may have had something to do with the lack of HP in the new Bullitt.Staying true to the history of the Bullitt legacy, the movie car was not a LE or a special Mustang so modestly upgrade a GT and the legacy continues.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I just came back from the Ford Dealer. The new F450 Diesel has a twin turbos, a lo speed and a high speed, 325 hp and about 700 ft pounds of torque. They can put a Banks six pack on it, stuff it in to the New Bullitt, and presto, we have about 600 hp and fifty million pounds of torque( hp is cool but torque is what moves things) Plus, they would never wear out...it might be a little nose heavy, in fact, it might not turn at all... But going straight would be fun and the burn outs would be cool.

What ever they come out with, Bullitt heads will keep them the way they are or modify them to their own personal taste and horsepower just like we have done.It's what makes for interesting conversations when two Bullitt Heads get together.

It will be a shot in the arm to the present Bullitt owners and maybe with a few more running around when we go to a car show people will know what a Bullitt is.
It may help resale prices even though I know that is not the reason we bought our Bullitts.
We might be able to get more Bullitt owners out for day cruises to cool places and have enough Bullitts to do regional IMBOC events.Sure,they could have done more with it, But deep down I am just glad they are building them.

DCLMustang
Casey

1 - 20 of 28 Posts