Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading several things from various sources about differences in the Bullitt and GT. One was the Cobra 11" clutch. Can we verify that as being correct? If so then it must have an 11" flywheel, which would likely be sourced from the Cobra as well. Here is where I have some more questions. As far as I know the Romeo 2V motors have 6 flywheel bolts, the Cobra has 8 from what I have heard. 1999-2000 Windsor 2V's had 8, but 2V production went back to Romeo in 2001. What crankshaft is in this engine? If it needs 8 bolts, is it a Cobra crank or a Windsor crank. A lot of times there are too many variances to use parts from one factory in another factory's block.

I also remember someone posting on Corral, almost a year ago, a part number for the Bullitt crankshaft. That does sound like it may be specific. What is it? I also remember rumors of it having the Cobra windage tray, any truth to that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-12-27 18:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I believe all Bullitts have the 11" Cobra clutch assembly. I do not know about the windage tray though.

Does everyone know that the Bullitt oil filler tube is on the DRIVERS SIDE as to the regular GT having the oil filler on the passenger side.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I belive our intake came from Ford Racing before the FR500 came about. There was onr gent that stated that he worked for the company that made our intakes.
Mr.T... Help!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-27 22:12, twoponys wrote:
I belive our intake came from Ford Racing before the FR500 came about. There was onr gent that stated that he worked for the company that made our intakes.
Mr.T... Help!!!!
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The Bullitt intake is different from the one that's been in the FRPP catalog for two years... that one was designed to fit the 96-98 engines, not the ones with the PI heads.

The FR500 intake is radically different. It's a dual throttle body, dual MAF, magnesium intake for the DOHC heads.

I am also now very curious about which crankshaft is in my Bullitt. There's no doubt the clutch is a vast improvement over the GT (at least its way better than the one in my old '00 GT). If my car has a forged crank too that's just major bonus points!

·
Registered
320 Posts
In mid 2001 all gts and bullits have the tremec trans and the 11 inch flywheel, my buddy has an 02 gt, clutch and tranny exactly same as my bullitt. I also am dobting that my bullitt has underdrive pulleys, they look to be the same as my buddys as well. Also think the rumor about different heads is just that a rumor. My bullitt did have 10 more hp and lbs of torque than his though, all across the board

·
Registered
53 Posts
IIRC, all Bullitt engines were built in windsor, which means 8-bolt cranks (don't quote me, I'm going from memory) the underdrive pulley thing, is in relation to the alternator and waterpump pulleys. The alternator is the same as on the Cobra, and compared to the GT alternator, it is underdriven (15% IIRC, but again, I'm not 100% sure on the exact #) the water pump may have a slightly underdriven pulley on there as well.
The Bullitt does not have unique heads, they are the same as the GT.
The SVO intake that has been in the FRPP catalog for some time is not the same manifold as the Bullitt, though the overall design is similar.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The Bullitt water pump pulley is slightly larger in diameter,than the GT pulley,to turn the pump slower. About 5 inch dia.for the GT. 5.5 inch dia. for the Bullitt. The Steeda water pump pulley is bigger yet at 6 1/4 inch,I believe. Would be nice to have that forged crank in there,with a windage tray.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rara, I think all Bullitt engines come from the Romeo plant. Look at the barcode sticker that is on the lower part of your valve cover. It it says "REP" it comes from the Romeo Engine Plant.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
When 227 had to get a new Engine, I sent an eMAIL to Art Hyde. He told me it was a brand new engine from Romeo. All Bullitts have Romeo Engines. Now what is inside I am not 100% sure about :wink:

Hope this helps.

Bud

·
Registered
783 Posts
Isn't there someone who could do a little recon work via the phone at the Romeo plant. why is it so difficult to find out what we have????

Could we tell if our crank is forged or not simply by looking??

Black Bullitt #3185

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LesnTea on 2001-12-31 22:41 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-31 22:39, LesnTea wrote:

Could we tell if our crank is forged or not simply by looking??

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, ya could, but its a little tricky to see :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-12-31 22:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rara, Art Hyde of Team Mustang confirmed to me many months ago that the Bullit does have the Power Improved heads. GT's do not.

And yes, the Bullitt does have a windage tray.

We also have the previous Cobra's twin 57mm throttle body.

·
Registered
783 Posts
TXBulitt,

How do you know we have a windage tray? Has anyone droped the oil pan and looked. If so we should be able to tell about the crank from the casting/forging marks at the seam.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ah, so much mystery,seems like ford could have just gave us the mufflers and a k&n and we still would have had 10 more hp than a gt, but im not complaining, its still a sweet car.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The windage tray was referenced one of the many Bullitt articles comparing the Bullitt to the GT. It appeared in one of the Sept. or Oct. issues in a discussion of the oil pick-up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts