Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Mac O/R h-pipe and MIL eliminator install, I have noticed several times that it will spew out a bluish haze of smoke. It doesn't happen while driving, only when at idle for extended periods of time or just after startup.

I took this video after I let it sit for 10min with the A/c on full blast (it seems worse with it on) and just gave it a little 3000rpm revup. Heres what happened:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h2sFIj8iEeI

Could it be that my car is burning oil? Or is this happening because the MIL eliminators have caused the computer to run the car rich? I don't currently have anything else done to 976 except for the mods listed above. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
If running rich it should be black looking, oil is blue looking. Put your finger in the exhaust tips and see if it is just black or oily on your finger. Looks like oil smoke to me

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rblack4405 said:
If running rich it should be black looking, oil is blue looking. Put your finger in the exhaust tips and see if it is just black or oily on your finger. Looks like oil smoke to me
Hm hard to say. It feels maybe just a little oily but reminds me of soot in a chimney really. The thing is is that it really didn't do this before I took the cats off. Seemes to me that removing the cats is allowing the engine to produce a more carbonated exhaust. What does it mean if it is oil smoke? Rotating assembly rebuild? I sure hope not... :frown:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
blue haze, from what I understand, is burning oil.

I have an xpipe with flows and when I blow out anything, its usually just condensation. I sniff it at times just to make sure I'm running rich and hadn't blown anything... yet.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Pull your spark plugs out and check them. Look for oily deposits on them or black if running rich.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
+1 on pulling plugs, make sure your PCV system is hooked up and in good condition. No cracked hoses or bad pcv. Also how many miles on your bullitt?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black4592 said:
+1 on pulling plugs, make sure your PCV system is hooked up and in good condition. No cracked hoses or bad pcv. Also how many miles on your bullitt?
65,000. Never had any oil drips on the garage floor or any tale-tale signs to indicate that there might be a problem. Say it is burning a bit of oil - what could this mean? A valve seal gone bad? A piston ring leak? I've never had a problem with a vehicle burning oil

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Bullitt Brad said:
65,000. Never had any oil drips on the garage floor or any tale-tale signs to indicate that there might be a problem. Say it is burning a bit of oil - what could this mean? A valve seal gone bad? A piston ring leak? I've never had a problem with a vehicle burning oil
Oil leaks and dripping oil on the floor are nothing to do with burning it.
I hope you are not burning oil.
Over here it means, you fail test and your can't drive it till you pull the motor and get it rebuilt........

Here is hoping it's a minor problem like a vavle seal and not rings

PS I thought if it was a valve seal then it would only do it on first start up when the car has been sitting

·
Registered
987 Posts
Use some Seafoam and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
+1 valve seals usually show their face after sitting all night, but I guess if you really tore one good, you could get smoke after just a little bit. As long as your car runs fine then you should just monitor how much oil it is using. If its excessive then you should freshen the engine up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts