Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day I installed my Bassani X pipe with cats I began to notice a greasy black film on my rear bumper. I had my SuperChip reburned last week for 3.73 gears and at the same time Higgins Performance said they would turn off the signal on the rear O2 sensors so that I wouldn't get a check engine light. I told them I never have experienced a check engine light. They informed me that the car will run rich if I didn't do this. Sure enough...no more greasy black film on my rear bumper with the reburned chip. Looks like this is a "must do" even if you don't get a check engine light after installing a catted X pipe. Learn something new every day.

John

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KRS 01, I wouldn't worry about it if you are not running rich. I was running rich and turning off the rear O2 sensors fixed it. Apparently the computer was adjusting the A/F mixture for what the rear O2 sensors were reading with the hi flow cats.

John

·
Registered
394 Posts
John,

I noticed my car runs significantly richer than it did before I installed my Bassanin W/cats. Dyno's I ran before the X-pipe showed my AF at bout 12:1 and dyno's after the pipe showed my AF at about 11:1. This is quite interesting. I thought the second set of O2's was merely for emmisions purposes and not for computer adjustment. I mean I though they were only used to check to make sure that the exhaust was clean enough to pass emissions, but not used by the computer to make adjustments to the AF ratio. I thought the first set of sensors were solely responsible for this.

Eric

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric, got this bit of information from Higgins Performance here in Atlanta which is a very respected shop. The are indeed right because there is no longer a black greasy grime on my rear bumper. I am getting my first dyno this Saturday. Can't wait.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too have been plagued in the last month with approximately 4 2-day periods of having the service engine light come on. I have had the bassani x-pipe with cats and the bassani cat-back system since Sep 30, 01. But this service engine light syndrome has just started happening in the last 3 weeks. I took the car to Autozone parts and their break out box showed code P0153 right rear bank 02 sensor. What should I do at this point-don't see any greasy film in the rear but the car seems to have a rich sounding burbling idle no black inside the muffler tip area though. Should I turn off the rear 02 sensors, is this something I can do and how? Also, will this effect the car's ability to pass emissions requirements-thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upslayer, sounds like you need to install MIL eliminators. Higgins Performance says that is not uncommon. Bound to happen sooner or later. Go to http://www.dallasmustang.com/ to purchase them. There is also a guy on BON and Corral that sells his own home made MIL eliminators for cheap. Everyone says his MIL eliminators work great.

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2002-01-11 09:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been very interested in this subject recently. Can someone tell me though, is installing MIL eliminators the same as turning off, just the rear sensors?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Upslayer,

How do you like your full Bassani system? Any resonance at highway speeds? How does it sound compared to stock? Thanks, I'm a few hours from stopping by and picking up the same setup, just wanted to hear an opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jay, I'm happy with the system (except for what to do about this 02 sensor thing)I don't notice any freeway speed droning, the quality of the pieces is the selling point-they just look like they're built very well. The sound is louder than stock but not excessively. Until near wide open throttle they're pretty civilized, then they cook!

·
Registered
714 Posts
very cool, I hope I don't have a problem with fit around the rear tires since I am running 18x9 wheels and 285/35/18 tires? Do you recall how close the tailpipe is to your rear tire?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm afraid Tommy Higgens is wrong.

Period.

Your car will run exactly the same with our without MIL Eliminators. Their sole purpose is to fool the PCM into thinking the cats are still there by altering the voltage sent from the rear O2 sensors. This goes for any 1996 to current Mustang GT, Cobra, V6 or Bullitt.

Let me repeat this. Rear o2 sensors are for monitoring emissions only, as they have no bearing on your vehicle's A/F ratio.

We've done extensive research on this topic considering we R&D our products before they hit the market.

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions relating to this post, or feel free to post them here...

Dan Smith
Pony Express Performance
www.mileliminators.com
[email protected]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PEP on 2002-01-13 19:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dan,

What you say confirms what I understand to be the function of the second set of O2 sensors. They are solely there to make sure the cats are doing their job for emmisions.
It is a little curious that cars equipped with Bassani X-pipes seem to run richer. It could easily be a coincidence as I don't know of anyone who has done back-to-back tests with the stock H-pioe and Bassani X comparing the A/F ratio's.

Eric

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks Dan for the information!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Eric, I just took my Bullitt to my local Ford Dealer yesterday regarding my service engine soon light being on now constantly. Well they confirmed the code P0153 that the local Autozone parts store retrieved for me last week (02 sensor circuit, slow response, bank 2, sensor 1). I have the full Bassani sys ft to rear (which the Ford dealer didn't catch) but the tech said I was running lean because of my C&L MAF which he said is showing only 7 volts signal and should show 9 volts (meaning it's lean) The dealer said he couldn't do anything for me, but the tech said that C&L should send me another "pitto tube" or I should get a chip to level out the air/fuel ratio. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
394 Posts
upslayer,

With the changes you have made I would highly recommend getting a wideband A/F ratio done on your car. Take your car to a local performance shop with a dyno and have them do a few pulls while monitoring the A/F ratio. It should cost about $100. The reason I recommend this is that you have made changes that will most likely affect your A/F ratio on both the intake and exhaust. It is possible that they will have an additive effect and really throw you A/Fratio off. Once you know were your A/F ratio is you can take corrective action. If it is within normal tolerances you might want to look at replacing that O2 sensor or switch it to the other side and see if the problem follows the sensor.

Hope this helps,

Eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
You all are forgetting the other variable. With no cats, the extra crud (we'll call it smog) it not filtered out by the cats. Thus, the unburned fuel and hydrocarbons are exiting your tail pipe. It has nothing to do with the rear o2 sensors, but more to do with the removal of the cats from the system.

Your car isn't running any richer, you are just seeing more smog coming out of the pipes because the cats aren't there to burn off the excess.

Are we on the same page?

Dan Smith

·
Registered
394 Posts
PEP,

My car is running richer. My dyno test with wideband A/F showed my car was running richer. First dyno with stock exhaust my A/F never dropped below 11.8. Second dyno with only mods, densecharger and Bassani X-pipe With Catalytic converters showed my A/F dropped as low as 10.8. And it was richer across the rpm range than the previous dyno. The hi-flow cats on the Bassani may not trap as many particulates but my car is also running richer.

Eric

·
Registered
49 Posts
Eric, thanks for the advice regarding the wideband a/f testing-that and the switching of sides of the o2 sensor would seem to make very good sense-I think I may delay the install of the mil eliminators for just that reason but first I need to ask someone-anyone who can recommend a first class shop with a(chassis)dyno who knows what they're doing in the Phoenix area-any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts