Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in drier climates this may not be a problem, for the rest of us here goes... I have noticed rust on the outer edge of the rear disk brakes and on the inner edge near the hub, it looks bad! The rust is on the unfinished portion of the brake disc and not on the braking surface itself. I have decided that I will be taking a wire brush to the rusted surfaces, cleaning the rust off and coating the surfaces with hi-temp primer and probably hi-temp flat black paint to match the rest of the disc. I will apply the paint with a small detail brush since the rough surface will not show brush strokes very well, this in lieu of spray painting them. Any others see this, come up with any ideas yet?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Short of using nickel rotors, it's futile.

Brakes generate a lot of heat and almost nothing short of something NASA brewed up will stick.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
the rust is actually "bleeding" onto my wheels sometimes. (in the front only!!)
the squealing and the rust are the BIGGEST reasons i want to do a rotor swap/mod!!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response JayP, as you are right about the brakes generating a ton of heat. I am going to look into this issue a bit more, to see if 3M or any others makes some super hi-temp coating that can be applied post cleanup. I have read on here that some members are having problems with (heat?)the red paint coming off their calipers, so my work my be in vain. Will keep the group posted on what I find out.

·
Banned
975 Posts
My 2 cents: Try www.optauto.com . they have paint for brake calipers. I have my stock rotors being bead blasted and I will try to paint the hat sections to stop the rusting. If this will not correct the problem I will order new rotors from Brembo cad plated without the slots and drilled air holes to maintain the stock appearance.
:bullitt:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link will check it out. Let me know how your "fix" works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts