Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one heard what Ford is going to do about replacing the S/N sticker with one were the ink won't rub off?

I admit I had read posts about not touching the sticker, but... mine was getting pretty nasty from dust and somehow even a splattered moth got on it. It had to be cleaned. So I thought I would use a little weakened glass cleaner (water by itself wouldn't clean it) and rub it gently.

I was careful to just test a spot, seemed OK - I thought, so I started to wipe the outer edge (used a terry cloth towel) of the sticker and noticed black on my towel. The two leading 00's on my S/N are now almost gone along with the top of one of my "L"s. I also noticed blue on the towel and looked closer at the sticker - the word 'Ford' is in blue, in the background, and the ink for that isn't permanent either.

Ford has got to fix this! I mean they didn't even test the ink permanence of the sticker - did they expect us to never wipe it off, I mean anyone who looks under the hood, the first thing they want to see is the S/N sticker. I thought this was going to be an engraved badge to begin with, not a cheap sticker with ink that runs. This is one of the main components to making this a collector's car, and needs to be able to hold up over the years.

I'm going to call my dealer, but I wanted to know if you guys are having the same problem and what your dealers may have told you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
what if all of us here send a petition / e-mails to ford? don't you think they would have to do something?? strength in numbers might get what our cars deserve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Bullitt didn't have the S/N sticker,just a
scratch where it was stolen. Dealer said it
came in like that and they would check with
Ford.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I think we should all write FOMO. Who is the one that has contact with Art Hyde himself. I think we should start there and if no response FOMO Customer Care. I will do my part if everyone else will rally around this. I think it is worthy of our attention. There is no reason for a limited production vehicle such as the Bullitt to have such a cheesy display of the serial number. Should we all send seprate letters, emails, or collectively send something to Art and maybe FOMO C.C too?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OKCBULLITT on 2001-08-19 14:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think a mass email, phone call, or regular mail on-slaught to Ford Motor Co. customer care or customer service would be a good idea they should issue all Bullitt purchasers with a nice machine made metel s/n plaque of some sort that can eaisly be attached by the the buyer over the cheesey one that came with the car or the dealers should have to install it free.

Frank Black Bullitt # 2726
Montvale, New Jersey

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm totally with you guys about contacting someone directly at Ford. I think we need to determine who we try first and all begin e-mailing this person or department. Who can give use some insight as to who we all should direct this to?

We should act fairly soon - before they concentrate their efforts on something else (another specialty Mustang maybe). However we do it, I bet we collectively could get something done.

For those of you who haven't had a problem, believe me, you will, and if you're like me and plan on keeping the car for years to come - you'll want to get it fixed now before there isn't a chance Ford would do anything.

I'll help spread the word - I just need someone to step up and let use know who we should contact and how.

·
Registered
199 Posts
On the corral web site there is a team mustang forum that is modderated by Art Hyde. I wrote a letter in it concerning the sticker problems and addressed it as a letter to Mr. Hyde. He did not respond! If you go to the site you can get his e-mail address or you can reply to the post that I put in. Maybe if some other people respond we can at least get a response. The address is http://www.corral.net. I posted this over five days ago so you will need to change the from item on the bottom of the page to last 10 days. Sorry I could not get a direct link to the post.

2001 Bullitt DHG #1164
81 Custom Sporty

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt1164 on 2001-08-19 15:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've attempted to e-mail Art Hyde directly, through the Corral link. I don't know if Corral accepts my login, however. The Corral has gone through some website enhancements lately that may have disturbed my access.

I'm with you all regarding a petition. We must now determine what format to use to get every Bullitt owner involved.

We may need the assistance of the BullittClub registrar in order to insure maximum participation.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I agree with everyone. The sticker is cheesy and I knew this before buying the car but I didn't expect the ink to just wipe away! I think Ford should replace the stickers with a stamped steel plate of the same design that the owners can attach with a couple of pop-rivets. I like the email idea so if anyone has Mr. Art Hyde's email address, post it here and we can all send him polite emails expressing our dissatisfaction with the stickers and suggestions as to what we would like to see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK guys, I spoke with my dealer today and he said about all he could do is wait until Ford lets him know what to do. He said there probably would be a technical bulletin issued instructing what to do and he would wait to do anything until they have a resolution. I asked him if he should let someone at Ford know - his response was "No", they'll let him know.

Anyone else reported this problem to their dealer? What was their response?

I also see that there is a discussion on this topic under "Bullitthead Chat". According to source we will possibly be receiving a sticker to place over the current sticker - I don't think it will work (see the full discussion) -- http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1471&forum=1&14.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-19 12:46, mkessel wrote:
My Bullitt didn't have the S/N sticker,just a
scratch where it was stolen. Dealer said it
came in like that and they would check with
Ford.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW! I feel bad for you...Of all things to be stolen....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok Bullittheads I wrote Mr. Hyde and as you can see I posted my email and his reply . And thats all I can really say on the issue I think his reply pretty much says it all !

Thanx Havgun #1676

·
Registered
8 Posts
I killed my sticker! :sad:

My sticker was wearing off so I tried to cover it with clearcoat as some have suggested. I carefully first tested the clearcoat on some newspaper to get a feel for the spray size and volume. Then I went and carefully covered the area around the sticker with paper so as not to get any excess clearcoat spray on it, just in case. Then I sprayed a light coating of the clearcoat on my sticker.. and watched the ink that was remaining disappear. It didnt run or smear, it just.. went away. :sad:

You can still vaguely read "BULLITT", but not the number.

I cursed my bad luck, laughed, and shut the hood. What else can you do? I sure do hope we get something metal to put on now, though! :smile: Thank goodness for the 2nd sticker. I hope its someplace safe.

What the heck happened, though? I didnt spray very much on. It wasnt krylon, I suppose that could be a problem, but still... DOH! I have a perfectly preserved front page of the Chronicle, though.. the newspaper didnt run or smear at all. Sheesh. Whats that all about?

Scott
DHG #1823

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt1823 on 2001-08-22 16:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt1823 on 2001-08-22 16:50 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
email me Los

·
Registered
15 Posts
I emailed Mr. Hyde in reference to the SN#s. Here is his response. At least he emailed me back in a timely manner.
----- Original Message -----
To: Sal Sr.
Sent: 23 August, 2001 9:33 AM
Subject: RE: Bullitt badges

We take every request seriously. Quality is a relative thing. Many think that a metal plate would be quality -- we do not agree because forgery would be easy. From the standpoint of security, the film approach is best. Too bad we did not execute it well. That will be dealt with soon when we send Bullitt owners a clear label to protect the ink. The rest of the label will not deteriorate.

Art Hyde
Mustang Chief Program Engineer
Ford North American Car

·
Registered
98 Posts
I "came this close" to pulling my sticker off thinking that the "serial number PLATE" was somewhere else. I was too busy to remove the sticker that day and shortly after discovered that IS the "serial number plate!" All I can say is: memorize your number (like anyone hasn't) cause the crappy sticker isn't going to hold up. funny thing is we have all these stickers saying this and that all over the cars and they're all of better quality than the one we care most about! Ford must have record of Vin # vrs. serial #? That's one way you could prove authenticity if you ever (god knows why) wanted to sell you car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts