Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of spending their time and money working towards building cars that hurt our wallets less, have better performance, or are safer, the automakers are funding lawyers to battle 3 states decision to adopt tougher fuel economy requirements.

Original article:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070410/AUTO01/704100328/1148

The sad thing is, even the tougher legislation still differentiates between cars and trucks and does not impose an average across the board.
IMO, fuel economy standards should include every car sold, without exception and rise 1-2% a year.

Manufacturers are woring around the system by building bigger trucks and claiming they are exempt then. The Ford Super-Duty's are not included in any averaging and exempt, though a great number of them are commuters and personal vehicles. In a perfect cake and eat it too scenario, the owners though don't have to follow truck speed limits or lane regulations. Either it's a truck or it isn't. Decide.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts
Then there is the Ford Motor Company and the salary taken by Mullally, something in the range of 25 million, according to a news report a couple of days ago.

This has to hugely impact the morale of all Ford employees. As an indication of dedication, he should have deferred his huge salary until he does his job of bring the company back to health. Is he really there to save the company or just to "get his"?

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Then there is the Ford Motor Company and the salary taken by Mullally, something in the range of 25 million, according to a news report a couple of days ago.

This has to hugely impact the morale of all Ford employees. As an indication of dedication, he should have deferred his huge salary until he does his job of bring the company back to health. Is he really there to save the company or just to "get his"?
He's a mercenary.. just there to turn the ship around (like he did at Boeing) and probably bail. I agree, they should have deferred that large of a payment until there were results.. it just looks bad in the press... and it made top story on the day it was announced.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I thought his total compensation is $28 mil for the year but I could be wrong. They felt he was worth the money and that's the only way they could get him to come to Ford. He certainly wasn't going to do it as a good will gesture. If he makes Ford profitible again, he probably is worth it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
568 Posts
lee50guru said:
Instead of spending their time and money working towards building cars that hurt our wallets less, have better performance, or are safer, the automakers are funding lawyers to battle 3 states decision to adopt tougher fuel economy requirements.
According to this, GM is taking the position that making rwd sedans more fuel efficient will make them uncompetitive based on pricing required to meet new CAFE standards.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0704090401apr10,0,1765735.column?coll=chi-bizfront-hed

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They also claim that they could make over 80% of their entire fleet hybrids and not meet the standard, and waste $25B doing it (or not doing it...).

I think the right thing for the manufacturers to do is realize that regardless of the results of this case, tighter FE standards are coming. People want better fuel economy.
My 1990 5.0L Stang got better mileage than a 2007 Gt. Sure, the 07 is a heavier car, but shame on Ford for not making an progress in 17 years.
(Note: The EPA estimates are the same, but my 90 ran a pretty consistant 24mpg)
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Even for the 4 year span of 2005-2009 Gt's there should be some improvement. Change the cal, take some weight out, do something to make the mileage better.

·
Premium Member
6,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
It's been a long while since I was in an original Fox body Stang. I forgot how much less mass there is to them. Last months DFW meet we had a visitor with a 1993 GT. Allot less mass compared to our 01s. And a couple days later I revisited the newer 07 Stang at a dealer. Seems absolutely FAT! Just looking at the doors is an experience. Then again, we have many more impact requirements for the mfg's to deal with, and wants and demands of the market place from/by people that just don't know or care about what they are asking for in a car. Sort of like the space shuttle. Everytime we add more gizmos to it and sling it into space we have to add a whole lot more wieght just to boost it off the ground. Cars are no different. It takes more energy to move more mass, and more mass to protect the occupants. MPG is going to take a hit.

And yeah, the Super/Heavy Duty trucks are the queens of the freeway nowadays. Been that way since the mfgs' got them exempt back in the mid-seventies. Started with 5/8 ton trucks, or Heavy Halfs if you prefer. That's the truck we call a 1/2 ton now. There isn't a real half ton built nowdays.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can only dream of the day when there's a "Retro" Fox body Stang built hopefully with an eye to the legend like the Challenger is being done.

A 3,000# car with a 5.0L (modular) or 351 Boss engine. I have a blank check waiting for it...

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Sounds like it may be the end coming for the affordible V-8 performance car. Within several years they will be built as very limited editions,with a big price tag,if they are built at all. The Gov't,again will kill the muscle car!
A small Ford dealer,in my area,has 10 new Mustang GT's sitting on the lot. Might be some good deals coming this summer!

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Mus408 said:
Sounds like it may be the end coming for the affordible V-8 performance car. Within several years they will be built as very limited editions,with a big price tag,if they are built at all. The Gov't,again will kill the muscle car!
A small Ford dealer,in my area,has 10 new Mustang GT's sitting on the lot. Might be some good deals coming this summer!

...and I can only imagine what performance parts for these "current" motors will cost when they are no longer being produced. I was already stunned to see modular vs. the good 'ole 5.0 parts were when I started modding. Ouch! Oh well...pay to play.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your local dealer isn't the only one. The stang design is dated and they aren't selling well across the country.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
lee50guru said:
Your local dealer isn't the only one. The stang design is dated and they aren't selling well across the country.
Mustang sales are still strong although they're down 10% this year. There was only a $665 rebate on mine I bought March 1st. When Chrysler and GM come out with their cars Mustang sales will probably drop big time. Have you seen Lee Iacocca's new book "Where Have All The Leaders Gone"? Highly critical of Chrysler's current management and President Bush.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It's actually 19% year to date, and I'd expect at least a 10% drop per year until 2010.
While the 2005+ cars are ok, I still argue that they missed their target market.
They're pulling design cues from the 60's when most (not all) Stagn buyers weren't even born then.
They need to focus on what made the 5L cars a success:

- Nice clean styling
-low weight
- solid, easy to modify powerplant
- V8 Lx, and GT for some choices
- Consistency over model years

1 - 15 of 15 Posts