Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over at Stangnet Forums, under Bullitt, Sub Topic "Modifying A Legend" i just read something that makes me want to cry.
some of you may remember that this guy is dumping on people who mod their Bullitts and he truly believes his car will appreciate EVERY year. he is mistaken AND misguided but that's his right to be
But he just mentioned today that he has had his Bullitt for 3 months and only has 57 miles on his car..............sigh.......
i feel so sorry for people like that. They just don't get it. and like an abused animal, i wish someone could rescue his Bullitt and give it a deserving home.
This is the 1st time i've ever heard someone truly buy this car for speculation. i guess it shouldn't surprise me but it truly makes me sad. don't know why but it does.
i had to tell him how i felt and i told him if he EVER wanted to understand passion and excitement to come over here to Bullittclub but i fear we would confuse and/or frighten him. never met anyone who's thoughts were so diametrically opposed to what this car is really about!!
thoughts anyone?
if you don't believe me..(i know I couldn't believe it)visit stangnet and "listen" to him

2001 Bullitt DHG #648

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-15 16:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mystang99 on 2001-08-16 11:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I bought my car to DRIVE it....and with passion. Each of us is free to do whatever we what. That said I want to enjoy mine. If and when I sell it if the value has held up ... then great. In the mean time I've gotta play!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think I put that many miles on my Bullitt the first time I drove it! I had over 100 miles on it the first day!

Bullitt ain't no fun if you ain't schmoopin on down the road. CatSmasher don't look cool sittin in a garage, daddy.

The CatSmasher

·
Registered
224 Posts
I drove mine 750 miles to get home from the dealership =) Then another 100+ per work day...I just passed 5k! Loved every mile! Even after it got smashed!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ya, I was over at Stangnet as well, and read the same thing. I was a little myself when I bought my car. I thought I might keep my previous car as well and use it as a commuter. But I finally came to my senses and decided to trade it in instead. I am so glad I did. Once I started driving my Bullitt, it is all I have wanted to do. I have had it for about 1.5 months and have 2,200 miles on it already. No dents, no nicks, no chips, always clean, just the way I like it.

Mike
DHG #3463
San Ramon, CA.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In 1999 I bought a Lightning which I kept and drove for about 7 months. It was purchased on the "A" plan, so the price was pretty good. After driving it for 7 months (9,000 miles) I actually sold the truck for more than I paid for it. This was due to very high demand, and the fact there were people willing to pay rather than wait for the next model year. Now, dealers are working hard to sell all of the 2001 model Lightnings, and some had quite a bit of trouble dumping all of the 2000's, with many having both model years for buyers to choose from. The bottom line is the Bullitt is a great car, but I don't think it will reach a point any time soon where it will appreciate in value. But then, I bought stock in Pets.com so what the hell do I know?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I thought that "investment" cars went out of style at the end of the 1980s. Its so sad to hear a machine like used as an "investment". Yeah, it was an investment in FUN! I've had mine for about 4 months and she has over 8000 miles of driving pleasure on the odometer. I'm not looking forward to the winter months when I'll pack her away until spring :sad:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I must admit I've purchased cars for collectability in the past..but...once having them and working on them for a while it was impossible to not use them as they were intended.If you've ever rattled and shook down the road in a "60's muscle car" you know what I mean!! As for the Bullitt? No way this car is gonna sit in my garage...it's wayyyyyyy too much fun! :lol:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
OK,Now I to believe in having fun with my Stangs,but I take good care to keep them out of the weather elements as much as possible. I refuse to take either one out in the rain. No fun cruising around with the windows up,plus it is just unsafe! My 85 LX just turned 10,000 miles this summer,and the original factory paint,can still earn a trophy or two,not to mention a 11 sec. time slip. I will enjoy 0503 the same way,probally with a few more highway miles....I can't help it!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
1007, stays in the garage, except on weekends or some special evening with Kay. and the Weather should be nice. Even though we've been caught in the rain before. I didn't buy 1007 as investment, as much as having my dream car. (I have alot of Dream Cars that I wish I had). I got amost 1500 miles on him in 3 months. And when we are out hunting He getts driven real hard. But I do plan that at 10 years from now, I will have a low milage collectable Bullitt. 20 years from now when I'm 62 I'll will have one kick ass car that is an unmolested 2001 Bullitt that will dampen everyones eyes remembering back in the good old days. When they had one and wished they still did. I would hope it would have less than 50,000 miles. If you think I'm not enjoying my Bullitt read my other posts. 1007 is 5 and 0 at street racing, and 3, 1st places in local car shows. 1st and 2nd over all in a SCCA road rally.
Oh I'm not the guy on stang net.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
I have had my Bullitt for coming up on 3 weeks. I already have 750 miles and one oil change. During this time, I've taken it to work twice. The majority of the miles were composed of just driving around with no specific destination. I wasn't expecting this mileage for another 2 months (driving the Bullitt is very therapeutic). As for collectability, I got a dose of reality at the Mustang Memories 2001 Car Show last Sunday in Livonia, MI. Of all the cars there, every late model Cobra ('93+), SVO Mustang, Saleen, etc. had a plaque indicating that there's was number XXX of only XXXX produced. Over the years, there have been several special interest Mustangs. Basically, don't worry about it's appreciation, enjoy it for what's it is (a good all around performance car) and do not worry about funding a retirement or college education with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I have got to tell you that Sheri & I bought our True Blue Bullitt to keep it a long, long time (20 years or so). We are keeping the mileage down and will never take it out in the rain (I hope). We will store it during the lousy Wisconsin winters as well. Is it sitting still? Yes and no, goes out on sunny Sunday afternoons and a few car shows. We have owned it 6 weeks and have 500 miles on it. Will it be worth something someday? Who knows we are speculating that it will, but that's not why we bought it. We wanted a true blue sports car!! :smile:

Keith (1867)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have felt guilty because of how many miles I have already put on my car. I've had it 3 1/2 weeks and already have 1600 miles on it(!) BUT I live in the country and every trip I take is at least 10 mi. round trip. I have my Windstar I could drive but only use it when I need the cargo or passenger space. I have waited all my life to have a car like this and I just can't keep my hands off it. I will store it Nov-Apr to make sure it never sees a speck of road salt. I would love to still have a beautiful Bullitt specimen in 20 years but cars are for driving. It's not nearly as much fun looking at it in the garage as it is driving it down the road.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey, to each his own. Although I'm not the guy on stangnet I drive mine as I would had driven a cycle if I bought one. Fair weather and stored for the winter. Atleast the guy has good taste. Right :cool:

·
Registered
351 Posts
When you find yourself ignoring a 600HP supercharged MUSTANG, that sits quietly in your driveway, you know that the bullitt is something special. Since delivery last May 4, now have approx. 1800 miles, and enjoying my bullitt every chance I get!

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
IF the car is gooing to appreciate, it won't be for, say 25 yrs or more. YO can't determine what a classic is, the public and fans of cars do. Granted, the Bullitt is a limited production vehicle and the first of many more "retro" Mustangs to come, but in the end only time will tell.
Cam

·
Registered
98 Posts
40 days, 2200 miles on it. I can't stop, i'm addicted. I'll just have the engine rebuilt when the time comes. It'll be stored for the New England winter, that'll cut the yearly milage down. I drive it in the rain and wash it daily. I love this car.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1st, i don't lnow why the guys post bothered me so much. sorry if i dumped too much on him. it just really bugged me more than i thought it could
2nd, everyone on this forum has had some fun and put some miles on their Bullitts. EVERY SINGLE one of you knows what i mean when i mention that goofy grin you get when driving.
jimmy ray, Mus408, & others.... we KNOW you have fun, we love hearing about it. i'm glad some of you can use other vehicles when the weather is bad and when winter is freezing. but every single one of you here has had some fun in your Bullitt too! that's what makes us passionate and enthusiasts!!!!
i'd like to put less miles on mine too cuz i plan on keeping her for at least 10 years, but because i love it !!! no other reason!
thanks for listening

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know I haven't had much experience with many cars (being only 17), but my opinion still stands as it has always been: Drive it because you love it, if it happens to become a collector car in the future you might not get much money for it, but you sure had a great time driving it! Cars aren't about money, they aren't like stock you buy then trade for something better, cars are like your own personal relationships, they are to be cherished and kept up. But of course, not many relationships can beat the pants off of a lot of cars on the road!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't have anything against someone buying one of these and putting it up on blocks. I hope someone does! Maybe I can get another one in 20 with low low mileage! :smile: Seriously, I wouldn't consider not driving mine, but it does get more pampering than any car I've ever owned. I'm getting BETTER at keeping it out of the rain (though it's only seen a little rain anyway), and it will never be driven on snow/ice/road salt.
That's just me, though. Nothing wrong with driving it all year rain or shine as I see it.
Nothing wrong with just looking at it either. But it IS a waste. Another thought, if someone does buy it in 20 years with 50 miles on ir or something, you KNOW that guy probably won't ever take the car out. So a fabulous Bullitt will go it's whole life without being driven.

LOL, I was just picturing this young guy buying one with 50 miles on it in 2030 or something, and wondering why his transmission clunks, his lenses are spotted, and his tailpipes are 1/2" off! Might be hard to get warranty work then! :grin:

Joe

1 - 20 of 34 Posts