Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Saleen hood from http://www.haneymotorsport.com for 18% off. Here are some pictures of it sitting in my front room waiting to get painted. There has been a lot of discussion on the hood scoop, and whether or not it belongs. My feelings are that it belongs because Ford put it on the car. However, I think the Saleen hood is more in keeping with the original 1968 car.

Nasty, since you are the picture guru, could you please post a picture of the original car with the reverse hood scoops if you have one? Thanks.

Opinions welcome

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-12-15 13:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kfengler on 2001-12-15 17:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Brad,

I agree with you on all points. I think that hood is gonna look awesome when you get it painted and put it on.

Please post some pics ASAP.

:wink:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good looking hood.

The "scallops" on the '67-'68 hoods are straight and not angled like the Saleen's.

I don't have a good pic of my '67 hood handy.

Scott D.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott D,

Yeah, I noticed the difference too, but I think it compliments the edgier styling of the 2001 Mustang. It's how I see the '68's hood as it would have evolved if still in production.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Brad,is there anything inside the soops. The new Saleen 281E the scoops are louvered. How are you going to keep the water out living in Seattle?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chalmers,

It came with mesh inserts, but there doesn't appear to be any way to keep water out. The problem won't be when I'm driving because the hood is designed to help extract warm air from under the hood. If I were to leave it sitting in the rain then water would drain down the vents and through the engine compartment. However, Saleen has been putting these on their cars for a while so I am not too worried about it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Brad

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thanks Brad, I thought about getting that hood. I really like it, but my car stays outside so please let me know how it does. Is it fiberglass? I had a friend who lived in Bellevue, now he lives in Issaquah. Maybe I'll look you up when I visit him next to check out the beast. Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-13 21:30, Brad1790 wrote:
Scott D,

Yeah, I noticed the difference too, but I think it compliments the edgier styling of the 2001 Mustang. It's how I see the '68's hood as it would have evolved if still in production.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed! :smile:

If it helps let hot air out of the engine compartment, that is a plus.

I'm looking forward to seeing that installed.

Scott D.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chalmers,

Brother you had me worried, so I ran out to the garage and took some rough measurements. It appears that the hood will drain right between the radiator and the engine. So, it will pretty much miss everything except radiatior hoses. Certainly, let me know when you will be up here. My Bullitt is open to any Bullittheads who wish to drive it.

Brad

Dark Highland Green #1790
Mods:Baer Racing EradiSpeed Rotors, Eibach springs, Tri-Ax, Densecharger 100mm, 87mm Pro-M MAF, Steeda Undrdrv/P's & T/A, FRPP Alum D/S, 3.73's, Mac Long Tube Headers & Cat'd H-Pipe, 255/45-17's & 275-40-18's BFG KDW's

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brad1790 on 2001-12-13 22:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think its nice...

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Brad, if you get a chance....show us a pic of the hood flat. the way it would look if it were on the car!(no don't put in on but try to lay it flat somewhere and get a shot of it sorta level) it look cool from what i can see but would love to see it flat!

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I like the look of the hood, I thought about getting one. I think it looks a little unfinished for a 800$ hood though. (the underneath) Is the whole hood Fiberglass? Make sure you get some pics up when you get it painted and installed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This hood is some type of composite fiberglass. The reason it looks unfinished is because it is. This is for weigh savings. I can pick this hood up with one hand. Here's the shots of it laying flat;

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
SWEET!!!

What was the cost?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullittoid on 2001-12-14 15:31 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
MMMMMMMM, the view from behind (as if you were driving) is VERY sweet!!
thanks very much. can't wait to see it on. i love the big hood scoop but you may have just made a very nice improvement!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

Karl, yes there are mesh inserts for the openings. And, Mr Steed I will work on the turn signals for you. It shouldn't be that difficult. It cost about $655 + shipping on sale.

Brad

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is the hood that should have been on the Bullitt...it is the only mod I'd consider (easy to keep the orig hood if needed later)

Have you had it painted and installed yet? Any difficulty getting it properly aligned? A friend put an aftermarket hood on his Cobra and he said it took hours to get it aligned just right.

Looking forward to your "after" photo posts!

Charlie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts