Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pampered garage kept and only driven on clear dry days #872 Bullitt that I special ordered last year and took delivery of in January and now has a grand total of 2,000 miles was caught in a violent sand storm...

Two weeks ago when driving home from Fort Yuma Arizona for a Veterans Day Program we got hit for a solid hour with the most violent attack of sand I have ever seen in my life. No way to stop, turn around or anything. Just had to hunker down and keep driving through it.

When we got home I was so sick I didn't even touch the car for an entire week. I finally got up the courage to clean it last weekend and discovered my worst fears had been realized. The clear coat is completely stripped from the front and right side, the headlight covers and front turn signals are cloudy, and the windshield is ruined. I popped the hook and the air filter is totally packed with sand.

I am once again sickened by the sight of the car, so much so that I resolve to get rid of it for a new truck, only problem is the local dealer has six new Bullitts sitting on the lot marked down to $24,000 with zero interest loans out to 72 months. They told me number 872 with only 2,000 miles is now only worth $18,000 at best, even after all the repairs are made...

So I have no choice but to get it fixed, however, as most of you know it will never be the same and my pampered baby is ruined in my eyes.

Sadly,

Anthony

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Anthony. Iam sure with you living in cal there are plenty of goog paint shops to get it painted. Like rob said get it done, and you will never tell the diff. Keep us posted and good luck Be safe JOHN

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Anthony

To keep your incident in perspective, I would suggest that you take a look at the site one member posted a few months ago - which includes some graphic pictures. His Bullitt was in a violent crash and not only was the car considered totalled, he had some injuries to himself. He could have accepted the fact that the car was totalled and went out and bought a brand new Bullitt - any car that he wanted to buy - but he not only wanted a Bullitt he wanted his Bullitt - even if it meant major bodywork and restore time. He had it restored and is now very happy to have his Bullitt back - and to be back on his feet and driving his Bullitt again.

Another way to look at your incident is so now you got that "first scratch" - use some of that insurance premium that you have been paying for and let the bodyshop and the glass shop do their thing - and then drive the Bullitt the way it was meant to be driven - hard and often!

Remember, you are now a Bullitthead and this is your Bullitt!:wink:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Its just my opinion..... BUT....

Cars were made to be driven and enjoyed. Doing so has certain realizations that should be made. It won't stay perfect. **** happens all the time. Keeping it nice even takes time, and money. If you can't spend these, then maybe cars aren't a good hobby for you.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
artillerybuff said:
My pampered garage kept and only driven on clear dry days #872 Bullitt that I special ordered last year and took delivery of in January and now has a grand total of 2,000 miles was caught in a violent sand storm...

Two weeks ago when driving home from Fort Yuma Arizona for a Veterans Day Program we got hit for a solid hour with the most violent attack of sand I have ever seen in my life. No way to stop, turn around or anything. Just had to hunker down and keep driving through it.

When we got home I was so sick I didn't even touch the car for an entire week. I finally got up the courage to clean it last weekend and discovered my worst fears had been realized. The clear coat is completely stripped from the front and right side, the headlight covers and front turn signals are cloudy, and the windshield is ruined. I popped the hook and the air filter is totally packed with sand.

I am once again sickened by the sight of the car, so much so that I resolve to get rid of it for a new truck, only problem is the local dealer has six new Bullitts sitting on the lot marked down to $24,000 with zero interest loans out to 72 months. They told me number 872 with only 2,000 miles is now only worth $18,000 at best, even after all the repairs are made...

So I have no choice but to get it fixed, however, as most of you know it will never be the same and my pampered baby is ruined in my eyes.

Sadly,

Anthony
Sounds like one of the notorious 'Haboobs' (violent sand storms) that occur occasionally in that region. Nasty and damaging, those things.

Sorry about your Bullitt. As the others have already stated, get her repaired and you'll not only have your Baby back, but a fascinating tale to boot!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ooo, I am sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how bad that feels.

I am sure with a bit of research you can find a body shop that can get her fixed up better than new.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
In the hands of the right person/shop, you will get some amazing results. I have known some guys that have had to get major paint work done on their cars and have had the shop take all the panels off the car, paint them, and then put it back together again so that it looks brand new. This may be a fairly expensive way to go, but something to consider. You have no choice but to get it fixed. I think once it's fixed and looking as nice as ever, it will renew your enthusiasm for the car.

Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
sganow said:
In the hands of the right person/shop, you will get some amazing results. I have known some guys that have had to get major paint work done on their cars and have had the shop take all the panels off the car, paint them, and then put it back together again so that it looks brand new. This may be a fairly expensive way to go, but something to consider. You have no choice but to get it fixed. I think once it's fixed and looking as nice as ever, it will renew your enthusiasm for the car.

Good luck,
Steve
When my car was stolen and recovered last year, I wound up with a complete paint job (minus the roof).

I can assure you that the paint on my car right now is superior to factory paint in every way.

Not that I am glad it happened (and I even had to pay some 'out of pocket' to get the paint job I wanted) but like people said, 'sheet happens'. Get it fixed and move on....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Fix it!

The bright side is that the sheet metal is fine, so it won't be hard to repair the cosmetic damage. Ask around for a excellent shop and get her done. As some have already posted, a good repaint is often better than the original paint. A couple of panels on my car have been repainted, but you wouldn't know it. Just continue to enjoy your car.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Look at it as am opportunity

Anthony,

I really feel for you. Sounds like my Bullitt is a close relative. I have #852 which just turned 2,000 miles last weekend.

As long as mine is still clean I will leave it totally stock. If I had something major happen to it (such as what happened to yours), I would start thinking "outside" the box and what Mods would I make.

Somewhere in this site, there is a True Blue 2001 which had to be rebuild and repainted and "ghost flames" where added in the repaint. I have wondered several times what would "ghost flames" look like on a HG 2008 Bullitt. It would be just a few shades lighter green and only visible in the right light. Just things to think about as your are getting her back together. My thoughts are nothing flashy, very sutle, but enough to make people take a second look.

Just my 2 cents worth (worth about a penny these days).

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Anthony
No way is trading and taking the hit better than a deductible. Talk to a few body shops, pick the one that seems genuine and don't let the labor rate alone guide you. Shops may accept your insurance company estimate. You may luck out and find somebody that shares your pain. Good luck man.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The real beauty of a Bullitt is more than just skin deep. It's in the deep thrum of its idling engine, the awesome sound of that tuned exhaust when you accelerate, and the fact that YOU own a Bullitt. Love it, repaint it, and it'll love you back!

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
If you have ever watched the movie you would see that the car in that movie was the average Joe Cops' personal car. Dents, scratches and such. Even if Steve McQueen deliberately put them there...

Your car just became more of a movie commemorative edition than any other babied Bullitt (including mine) could ever be. It's Driven and it shows it! So fix it and drive it. Like they said ^^^.

Btw, my car was bought used in Florida. Totally pristine, and five years old. I drove it home to Texas. On the way it got a fish eye in the windshield. I call that character!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Hey ArtilleryBuff, how about some photos of your Bullitt as it looks now. I'm sure we'd all like to see what happened to it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
mourning time?

originally posted by Arkady001:

It's just paint and glass...get it done and move on...
well said :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

originally posted by DavidMidgley:

Btw, my car was bought used in Florida. Totally pristine, and five years old. I drove it home to Texas. On the way it got a fish eye in the windshield. I call that character!

david's car has character because it is flawed. and this, obviously, does not equate to a character flaw.:goodvibe:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.