Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the runs at Sealy, my group headed back to Houston on the long winding road called I-10. Even on the side roads, a red mustang was calling for me, looking ever so delicate and sweet to beat. Alas, he would not race me as I roared my engine next to it. But a yellow GT (94-95) wanted to play. I down shifted to 4th and we ran them. I had him by a good 2 cars before we slowed down. The second go, after I dropped it into 4th, he overtook me. I guess he decided to spray. Then, after chatting with my group of friends on our walky talkies, our group leader spots a Corvette and dares me to race him. I pull up beside him, and not thinking, drop it to 4th when I'm doing 65. I should've dropped it to 3rd because I had plenty of 3rd gear left. Anyways, he rolls away from me. Slowly, but surely. (This was a early 80s type corvette) Then suddenly, our leader screams on the talkies saying a cop was speeding that way. I make a casual slow down and the corvette sees me do it so he slows down too. The cop heads into a bypass and rides along the side road of I-10 then comes back in and comes behind me then goes after the Corvette. Finally, he screams past the corvette and heads into Houston and disappears.
3 hours later:
We head out to Pinemont Rd. This road is a nice long strip, like Britmore, and has only 2 ways out. We get there and I get staged to race my friend in his 281 Saleen. WIth his DRs, he spins the tires for fun and sets up. We race and I get out of the hole first. But, I miss second gear and he flies past me. I miss 3rd gear and I quickly quit. Just like last time, except the situation was reversed. Then, I race a Z28. This time, I miss 2nd gear. He howls passed me, but I noticed something... He didn't pull on me at all. I thought that was weird. Then, I race an WRX. I was like DAMN!!!! when the car launched. Jumped way ahead of me. I missed 2nd gear again but when I found it, I pulled hard on him. 3rd gear, I still pulled strong, closing the gap between us. But we quickly ended that race. Round 4. I race my friends Mark VIII that I always harass and beat. No different. He got out the hole faster cause of the automatic but it didn't make a difference. I screamed passed him as I shifted through the gears like a pro, finally! Round 5. My rematch with the Z28. To prove my theory, I staged up with him. My ring leader quietly said, 'if he hooks, your gone.' I replied, 'I hope he does.' We staged and I floor the SOB and redline 3 times tryin to get out of the hole. We both stay side by side until late 3th gear when he started to pull on me. I had proven to myself that I can hang with stock LS1s. Come to find out, he wasn't stock as he had exhaust and cut out MAF or whatever it was. Still, I was satisfied. Then, one race later, the cops broke it up. Hehehe. That was the race of Saturday night.

Part I is in the "Dragstrip"

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thing is... When I race, my mind starts to blast different scenarios. I go through maybe 20 before I actually shift. So when I'm going through this thinking phase of racing, I'm not doing so well. I would end up trying to shift at 6 grand or over and the Tranny, thankfully, rejects it. Probably due to the bent shift fork I have yet to get repaired. It's worse with 3rd. hehe. But I'm learnin and when I race, I'm tryin not to think but instead, become a part of the race. That seems to help me alot more.
:wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts