Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll admit I feel a bit embarrassed especially after being a self proclaimed Steve McQueen fan that aside from Bullitt I have never seen another McQueen movie. AMC channel is playing movies that were nominated for awards so they had Cool Hand Luke butted up against Papillon. I saw the last few minutes of Luke and my girlfriend and I watched Papillon together.

My review? SPECTACULAR movie! Now usually I'm not into depressing movies much and aside from Steve's heroism there was little to cheer about most of the time. I mean seeing a man's spirit broken is not my idea of a real knee slapper. However with that being said the scenes in solitary where after Steve tried to escape for the first time were some of the most well acted dramatic scenes I've ever seen. He really made you feel what it was like to live through such an ordeal, from losing a tooth to eating roaches and centipedes to survive my g/f and I were blown away at Steve's acting. Just incredible. We've now vowed to go back and see every movie Steve has ever been in!

In conclusion, if you're looking for a movie you can watch with less than 100% of your concentration, i.e. talking on the phone, getting up to make margaritas, playing post office with the little lady this is probably NOT the movie for you. We were glued to the T.V. every second it was on as the word intense really doesn't do it much justice. But also in the same thought if you're looking for a feel good flick to lift your spirits and make you feel good about being a human being without giving away the ending for those who haven't seen it you might want to stick to Naked Gun or Days of Thunder.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I actually saw Papillon at the theatre when it came out. My Dad was a McQueen fan (he also took me to see Bullitt when it came out.) Of course i was like 11 then. Those scenes you described are still etched in my mind. I should see it again.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Great Mcqueen movies that you have not seen then - in rank

1. The great escape
2. The magnificent seven
3. The sand pebbles
4. Le Mans
5. The Cincinatti Kid
6. The getaway
7. Nevada Smith
9. Junior Bonner
10. Tom Horn
11. The Hunter
12. On any Sunday - not a lot on Mcqueen but a great movie about motorcycle racing

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I personally think The Sand Pebbles is the best of all of them but, they are all worth seeing more than once.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Papillon is a moody and at times disturbing movie and I actually think it was mature and brave of him to do such an unflattering role.
I think it is some of his best work, the true actor come of age as it were, with no glamour.

For me I love the 'Getaway' and the remake with Alec Baldwin, I have them both on DVD.

I keep them with 'LA Take down' and its remake 'Heat' another two great movies but these two are NOT McQueen.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The Sand Peebles is terrific but to see Steve really define "coo"l catch him in the Thomas Crown Affair.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I mean "cool' Gotta freakin take typing lessons some day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts