Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After detailing 2236 yesterday, I got an angle of the hood that I hadn't noticed. Near the top of the passenger side of the hood, I saw what looked to be Scotch tape. I went to take if off and :mad: its on the hood, with clear coat over it! I ran inside asked my wife to take a look and see if she noticed anything odd on the hood. "Yeah, looks like a peice of tape on the hood". AGHHHH! Around 10:00 PM, one of my buddies came over and the first thing he point out after saying how cool the car is, "Man is that a peice of tape"! AGHHHHHHH!

Its about 3 inches long. Called the dealer and 2236 is going to the shop tomorrow.:frown: I am so disappointed that I have to bring it back after only being home for two days. The body shop said they can match it perfectly, not to worry, but I am still concerned. I told my dealer first and after a bit of "I can't believe that", he said, well, if you leave it on you get extra points in the judging contest for not correcting the factory error if you put it in a show. Not Thanks, I didn't pay this much to have a piece of tape left on the hood. This damn things like a magnet. Everytime I go into the garage...my eyes move right to it.

My only thought is that when it came down the line, someone taped something to the hood (part #, ect) and the paper was removed but not the tape itself. Sigh. Wish me luck that they get it done right without any noticability of the taking off of the hood, the repaint/ clear coat. AGHHHHHH! I can't believe this is happening after waiting all this time!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That sucks!!

Good luck with getting it fixed and I think I'd have been pretty hard pressed not to slap a dealer for that comment. Some, not all, but some work harder trying to get out of doing something for you than what energy it would take to actually do it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Haha, scotch tape on the hood is not a common thing for these cars, so no "points" would be added/deducted. It's not like underbody overspray on a 60's era car. Slap him for that comment. I would be royally upset after waiting forever for this to happen. You'd think someone would go over the body before paint... must've been a Friday at the plant.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
GOTTA check it out inch by inch before you take a new Bullitt off the lot. We know here on IMBOC that there were lots of assembly line errors on the 01s.

I assume this is 08 HG2236. Now you are going to have a repainted hood which will not be as chip resistant as new.

You should demand a new factory-painted hood, a new car or a refund. Your choice. Call Ford customer service if the dealer will not see things your way.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
PhotoRick said:
GOTTA check it out inch by inch before you take a new Bullitt off the lot. We know here on IMBOC that there were lots of assembly line errors on the 01s.

I assume this is 08 HG2236. Now you are going to have a repainted hood which will not be as chip resistant as new.

You should demand a new factory-painted hood, a new car or a refund. Your choice. Call Ford customer service if the dealer will not see things your way.
I couldn't agree more Rick. I would definitely demand a new factory-painted hood. If they can't do that for you, then they can have the car back.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, great news! I just got back from the dealer body shop, the manager came out looked at it and said "Never seen that before, let me let my painter take a look". 10 minutes later the car was pulled up front and they said can you see it anymore? I couldn't find any signs of the 3 inch peice of tape. I looked for 4-5 minutes from every possible angle. The painter came out and said this has happened once before that he remembered. Someone down the line stuck something to the hood when they shouldn't have. He said you can see the tape, but the adhesive is not touchable/ tacky. He said he buffed it out. I can't believe he was able to buff that out. After he told me that, I looked even harder, but no surface difference what so ever. I just pulled it in the garage and still no sign of the tape/ adhesive or that anything was done to the hood. My blood pressure is finally back to normal. Thank you guys for all of your advice/ wishes.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Good NEWS indeed. When you described it I thought they may be able to deal with it just in the clearcoat level. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Buffers work wonders when used by a pro, wish I knew how to use mine!

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I hope you took pictures of the before and after

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
PhotoRick said:
Why do you say that?

PhotoRick said:
I don't think a replacement part is going to come painted.

PS to Wayne - looks like you are OK! Great!!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
That sucks bad! I bought a new Corvette in the mid 70's what a piece of sh** when I complained about how bad the paint was the service dept guy said, "well you didn't buy custon built car" or something like that basically live with It. I could have decked him! I was never satisfied with It, sold It with-in a year. Also I returned a Van once because It had body repair done before delivery. I didn't notice untill I got It home I went back "MAD", and I got my money back. I hope you can get this problem resolved to your satisfaction. GOOD LUCK! Ron

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
Bullistic said:
I hope you can get this problem resolved to your satisfaction. GOOD LUCK! Ron
He did - read this post.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Sorry,Yeah! I got ahead of myself, It brought me back to some of my bad experiences with paint. To vent still! I'm BAD. I'm happy for him! Ron

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
My neighbor came home with a brand new 1988 Oldsmobile 98. Gorgeous car and pretty well loaded. Dark blue in color. He was so proud.

Standing in his garage that night under the fluorescent lights I pointed out where it looked like someone took an orbital sander and had fun on his hood before it was painted. Turned out the hood was damaged in transit and the repair was horrible.

He came home in a Black 98 the next evening that had every single option Oldsmobile offered. The GM at the dealership apologized and told him to pick any 98 on the lot. He would give him the car at the same price he had originally paid for a lesser model. THAT was great customer service.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear it's fixed. :)

I unwrapped mine today and took a clay bar to it. I also took out one small scratch on the front bumper (saw it the morning that the car came in, no big deal), but I didn't see the small paint chip in the paint I found on the leading edge of the passenger door (between the front of the passenger door and the passenger fender). I'm going to swing by the dealer next week and see what they can do for it. The car has been in my garage since I picked it up (straight from the dealer to the house), and I can't see how it even happened while in-transit (no ding, and a weird place to see a chip).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts