Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I slam gears from 1-2 and 2-3, if i get on the gas real hard, i hear a small screech from below the car for maybe 1/4 second. is this the clutch slipping? i can still spin the tires going into 2nd, and i have noticed that it only happens going to 2nd when i dump the clutch a little slower. 3rd happens no matter how fast i dump the clutch, if i'm punching it, it screeches.

2001 DHG Bullit #4719
Densecharger
1995 Laser Red GT
K&N Filter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gibscreen on 2001-10-25 03:13 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
That is the serpentine belt slipping. It happened to me as well and I read about it in the Cobra/Bullitt comparison in 5.0/Super Fords December issue.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I asked about this problem a couple times over a month ago and nobody ever responded. I'm glad, but sorry, that somebody else is have this one. I swear my clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Usually when the clutch is slipping you will notice a gain in rpm and no gain in speed. Also when it slips with nothing on the clutch pedal it will always slip when you gas it. Also the clutch will let you shift with the pedal only part way depressed and you will not have to put the clutch to the floor to shift.
jmho

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
jim

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
jj's right....when the clutch slips, you REALLY know it and it's kind of a sickening feeling.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I thought the screech was a fuel pump noise. I used to get that on my Impala SS when it was new, and it ended up being a fuel pump. It does sound like the same thing.

I hate that noise. :wink:

Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey jjrocks, i'm not sure your statement about having to put the clutch all the way to the floor is entirely accurate. there's a friction point for all clutches, a range where the clutch is slipping, and there should be some play at both the top and the bottom. meaning you should be able to depress the clutch about 1-2 inches and have the clutch still be fully engaged. also you should be able to have about 1 inch at the bottom where the clutch would be fully disengaged. all you really want to make sure of is that the clutch is completely disengaged. i personally would not want my clutch to only disengage completely when the clutch is all the way to the floor, because inevitably there are gonna be times when you don't depress it fully.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You are right aboout the floor. I was trying to make the point when there is no travel left in the pedal your clutch is probably shot and can slip. As compared to when the travel for engament is nearer to the floor. I definatley stated it poorly.
Thanks

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts