Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a little advice from those who have the SCT.

I currently have the following items ready to install and don't expect to do any "major" mods (blower, heads, cams, etc) to the Bullitt:
O/R X pipe
FlowMasters
3.73 gears

Can anyone give me some advice on what "extra programming" I might want to request when I order the SCT Programmer?
I have no experience with these and don't want to learn the hard way if anyone can help me get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Just get the program for the octane you'll be using. If you want, you can get an economy tune for 87 octane and a performance tune for whatever octane you have for premium fuel. Another tune that I thought was cool is the valet tune. If you ever have anybody borrow your car you set the rev limiter to like 3000 rpm or so. I just got the 91 octane performance tune for mine and will have the local dyno shop custom make additional tunes for mine since he's an SCT dealer.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
itsabullitt said:
Just get the program for the octane you'll be using. If you want, you can get an economy tune for 87 octane and a performance tune for whatever octane you have for premium fuel. Another tune that I thought was cool is the valet tune. If you ever have anybody borrow your car you set the rev limiter to like 3000 rpm or so. I just got the 91 octane performance tune for mine and will have the local dyno shop custom make additional tunes for mine since he's an SCT dealer.
I was thinking of sending my short list of mods and getting 87 oct, 93 oct, and 100 oct tunes for it. 93 oct would be my daily tune. 87 oct my tune for trips. 100 oct tune for strip duty.
Any thoughts about that?

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
itsabullitt said:
Better have a 93 tune for the Shootout (we have it here).

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Sounds good. Yeah, definately send them your list of mods so they can get as close as possible. A dyno tune would be the best way to make sure everything is dialed in correctly for each tune, but not sure if you have a dyno available to you.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Better have a 93 tune for the Shootout (we have it here).

Good to know. I don't have any 93 octane stations here in Wichita, so I'll probably just play it safe and go with 91. There might be some along the way, but that's extra $$$$ to have a program burned that I'll only be able to run probably once a year.

·
Registered
618 Posts
What is the doing rate for a dyno tune?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I want to say the guy in Wichita charges $150.00 an hour to actually tune the car on the dyno to set up programs and such, but not sure. He charges alot less if you just want to make a quick run to see what your car makes to the wheels. Different shops will charge different amounts I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input!
Any recommendations as to whom I should purchase the unit from?

Additionally, if anyone is in North Carolina, any recommendations on a tuner that can dyno tune if I need it in the future?

·
Registered
591 Posts
+1 #736

Go with something your tuner is comfortable with. If you really want the SCT, look for the nearest SCT tuner w/ a dyno and consider if its worth the trip. A dyno tune is the only way to be sure your tune is safe, and may prevent some major heartache at the track.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
TRUEBLUE3934 said:
Thanks for the input!
Any recommendations as to whom I should purchase the unit from?

Additionally, if anyone is in North Carolina, any recommendations on a tuner that can dyno tune if I need it in the future?
www.americanmuscle.com is where I ordered mine from. They have free shipping, and also offer a 5% discount to imboc members.(use code IMBOC8657 during checkout) But as 736 says, research any dyno shops in your area to see what programmers they use. American muscle also sells the Diablosport predator as well.

go here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-mustang-chips-tuners.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
itsabullitt said:

Wow, I had no idea that was possible to have a "valet" tune. Is that something that can be done yourself or do you pretty much have to have someone burn it on?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It says in the description of their Xcalibrator3 you can purchase it as an optional tune, so I think you'd have to have it burned.

But then again, I think you can change your rev limiter yourself on the programmer, so it may be possible to do it yourself. Now you've got me wondering. I'll check it out when I get mine and let you know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts