Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in California used the SCT Flash programmer on their 08 Bullitt?
Want to verify that I'll be able to use the Bullitt if I do it.:doubt:

·
Registered
302 Posts
funny you should ask, I just installed my tune yesterday. I got it from Brenspeed, you will hear a lot about them on this forum. I have to say it is simply awesome.
http://www.brenspeed.com/3000.html
They will need a bit of info but then send you the tuner with 3 different octane tunes specific to your bullitt.
This is absolutely the first mod anyone should do to their car.

And no, I don't get commission.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bwshog said:
I'm wanting to get one as well, but I know it won't be smog legal here, with an aftermarket tune. As long as we can reload the factory tune a week or two before the smog check, we should be good... Then again - I'm planning on moving out of CA before I need to smog it..:smile:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I already have the unit, just wanted to be sure, didn't want to have a doorstop. Thanks again

·
Registered
302 Posts
oldlugs said:
I'm wanting to get one as well, but I know it won't be smog legal here, with an aftermarket tune. As long as we can reload the factory tune a week or two before the smog check, we should be good... Then again - I'm planning on moving out of CA before I need to smog it..:smile:
This tuner does back up your current tune. I haven't had to restore it yet but thats the idea.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Bob the tuner is car specific as in it will only work on the car it is first plugged into.I believe the sct unit can be cleared to work on a different car but not sure how that is done.You should talk to Seth at brenspeed he can give you info on this unit. You can also have him custom make tunes for your car that you can download to the tuner after he e-mails them to you.I also have the Brenspeed tune and find it makes the car ALOT more fun to drive if you can believe that.And no I don't get a commision from Brespeed either.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Gotta be careful about custome tunes. You get a few more horsepower but at what risk and at what cost?

SCT could do the same thing because a tune is no big secret. Ford would do it if it were not for certification/emission issues. Are you better off to use the standard SCT Premium Tune and not worry about engine damage? If something goes wrong with the engine are you going to wonder if a custom tune was a mistake?

If you are going to do any serious performance driving be sure to set your rev limiter when you install that tune.

·
Registered
627 Posts
PhotoRick said:
...If something goes wrong with the engine are you going to wonder if a custom tune was a mistake?

If you are going to do any serious performance driving be sure to set your rev limiter when you install that tune.
Maybe; but I wonder about how many steps back versus forward with every mod I do... Based on all the good comments I've read here, I just ordered an SCT X3 with custom tunes from Brenspeed... Hope it's as good as people say.
What I was wanting mostly, was the improved throttle response.

Do the Brenspeed tunes change where the factory rev limit is set? After their tune is loaded, can I go bac in with the SCT X3, and make minor changes to the Brenspeed tune, like rev limit, fan temp. on/off range, traction control on/off, etc..?

·
Registered
33 Posts
oldlugs said:
I just ordered an SCT X3 with custom tunes from Brenspeed... Hope it's as good as people say.
What I was wanting mostly, was the improved throttle response.

Do the Brenspeed tunes change where the factory rev limit is set? After their tune is loaded, can I go bac in with the SCT X3, and make minor changes to the Brenspeed tune, like rev limit, fan temp. on/off range, traction control on/off, etc..?

Per their website, the tune is adjustable and you should be able to change the "idle, axle gear ratio, tire revolutions per mile, rev limiter, automatic trans shift points, spark, and air fuel."

In terms of the throttle response, you will notice that right away. Also, my bullitt is my daily driver, so I appreciate the extra mile or two per gallon efficiency (when I'm not hitting it, of course). I have a lot more to say about the tune, but I already feel like I'm rambling. :D

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bwshog said:
Bwshog<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1947657", true); </SCRIPT>
<! FIRST NAME START>aka "Bob"

Call "Seth" at BRENSPEED and He will cover the Complete Process !!!!!!!!

Just tell "Seth" tigerhonaker sent You ............

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Saturday morning I am going to put my Bullitt on the Dyno to make sure my A/F ratio is were it should be. The problem is I will be doing it with some 500 RWHP Stangs:(
I'll show them what a Bullitt looks like with @ 280 rwhp :(

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
BlackPony said:
Saturday morning I am going to put my Bullitt on the Dyno to make sure my A/F ratio is were it should be. The problem is I will be doing it with some 500 RWHP Stangs:(
BlackPony<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1948053", true); </SCRIPT>
<! FIRST NAME START>aka "BlackPony"

I still bet Your Bullitt gets some Looks from the High H/P guys !!!!!!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
BlackPony said:

Don't even sweat that. Every car starts somewhere and 280 to the wheels ain't a bad place to start.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I have a lot of people calling my tune a "canned tune"
and they are taking bets that my a/f will be off.
I think they will be surprised at the results! My Bullitt does not ping, and it doesn't dog down! My car feels healthy!
I have not taken it above 5000 rpm yet, I haven't seen the need. I have a lot of torque down in the lower rpm,s
I think after our DYNO day's people will think differently about Brenspeed .
It kind of seems funny that there was a day when people had a performance chip that was pre tuned and that was ok. Now the same company's are doing the same thing with hand held tuners and it is risky now!
I don't get it :(

·
Registered
778 Posts
BlackPony said:
I have a lot of people calling my tune a "canned tune"
and they are taking bets that my a/f will be off.
I think they will be surprised at the results! My Bullitt does not ping, and it doesn't dog down! My car feels healthy!
I have not taken it above 5000 rpm yet, I haven't seen the need. I have a lot of torque down in the lower rpm,s
I think after our DYNO day's people will think differently about Brenspeed .
It kind of seems funny that there was a day when people had a performance chip that was pre tuned and that was ok. Now the same company's are doing the same thing with hand held tuners and it is risky now!
I don't get it :(
Here's a response from brenspeed on a question I had for them regarding rev limit, electronic fuel management and octane detection:

Our rev limiters are set at 6800 rpms. We have this set at this level
because of torque management and drive by wire restrictions. We have
thousands of cars set at this level, but we can set you up with anything you
would like. All of the 05 and newer cars have the adaptive octane
capabilities, but our tuning will be octane specific. Our tuning will
require a specific grade of fuel.

Dave Bachota

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found out yesterday that the 2008 Bullitt has to have a custom tune made for it, the SCT Flash canned tunes aren't compatable with the ECU. Having a company in Florida create a tune for it.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
That is what Brenspeed, did was made a custom Bullitt tune.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
What should the A/F be at WOT ?
12-13 ?

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Bwshog said:
Found out yesterday that the 2008 Bullitt has to have a custom tune made for it, the SCT Flash canned tunes aren't compatable with the ECU. Having a company in Florida create a tune for it.
Just give BREBSPPED a Call at the Number in my Signature and ask for "Seth"

That is what they do ..........

Custom Performance Tunes !!!!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

1 - 20 of 39 Posts