Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my stupid question of the day:

What is up with the seat belts locking up?
It's hard to describe, and I've had it happen in the '99 Suburban too.
I don't like things sitting on my neck, so every 60 seconds or so, I move it lower.
Once in a while, it won't move, and I feel so STUCK! It's completely locked in place.
Is this some wonderful feature of new cars?
I HATE IT !!! Is there any way to make it stop?
:mad:

p.s. I wanna be a Mega Bullitthead when I grow up.
:-B

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 6treva9 on 2001-10-31 18:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
The seat belt is reacting to the forces applied against it. Either you are accelerating or decelerating enough to lock it. Try moving it around at a stop or when you're cruising at a consistent speed. I believe this type of restraint is a federal regulation & has been on most cars I've been in over the last several years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe there is some type of pendulum deal inside the seat belt mechanism. So when the car has a forward or reverse force on it, the pendulum swings and locks the seat belt. When the car is moving at a steady rate or not moving the pendulum is stationary and allows the seat belt to retract and extend.

John G.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys....

I thought MAYBE it had something to do with the acceleration, but it didn't seem to be consistent.
I'll just need to not panic while accelerating hard, and wait to adjust while cruising, like you said.

I don't go racing around in the 'Burb much, and that's the only "new" car I've ever had until the Bullitt!
THANKS!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts