Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know this but wow. Keep the raisin bran away from your dogs!! Checked out and confirmed what we had already been led to believe... that grapes in any form are toxic to dogs.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5-yr. old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.

We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).

Both are monitors of kidney function in the stream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his output decreased again, his BUN was over120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
When we first got our Yorkie, we would feed him a grape every now and then. Then we read somewhere that grapes and raisins were toxic. We cut it out immediately. It was fun to watch him eat the grape though. He would play with it for at leat 10 minutes before actually eating it. Not worth the risk though. We feed him baby carrots as a treat. He LOVES those. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,404 Posts
My vet told us to feed dogs food for dogs period. Also to purchase good dog food, not cheap loaded with fat and other ingredients not healthy to dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
We feed Lucky The Eukanuba stuff for small breeds that you can get at Pet's Mart. Our Vet recommended the baby carrots as something that is good for his teeth and digestive system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,527 Posts
Wow! Never knew that. We have a HUGE grape vine in our backyard and Frank (LT) literally gorges on them when they ripen. :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,218 Posts
I don't know about this. My dad trained our family doberman back in the day with raisins. Unless...raisins have changed since then!

But I do agree w/4405. I think that they should only get dog-specific stuff.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top