Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Service Engine soon light on

920 views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  bullit boy 
#1 ·
I bought my Bullitt about a month ago. And the first day i drove it out of the dealership this "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light turned on. I wasn't even driving for 20 miles. I called the dealership and they said its nothing blah blah blah. I thought maybe it will go with time but it hasn't. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered a part for me. They installed the part and the light went off. As soon as i got about 3 miles away from the dealership the light came back on again. I called the dealership and they said that i should leave the car there until they fix it completly. Its wierd because over the weekend it went off and then came back on like 5 minutes after. I want to know if anyone else had bumped into this problem. I need to take it back to the dealership but i have been too busy to do that and plus i can't be without my BULLITT.

#2 ·
Sounds like something is screwy.

I owned an 84 European model BMW 745i. A real stealth screamer, twin KKK turbocharged 3.2L I-6 with 385 hp and a tunable auto-tranny. However I digress, this car's computer recorded the operatiing hours, not miles, and the service indicator would light. I had to buy a special push button tool to connect to the computer buss and reset the system after oil changes.

I wouldn't be surprised that the newer Ford's have someething like this too.

#4 ·
Mine came on with only 800 miles on a Saturday. Was not going to wait for the dealer so I disconected the the battery for 15 minutes and reset it. It came back on around 2000 I think it was. Took it in and it was a sensor for the EGR. Research on the net claimed that this was the number one reason for the Check Engine light to come on. They should be able to pull the code out and know exactly what latched. If the engine goes through 3 COLD starts with out duplicating the problem then the light will go out by itself. This is why the dealer does not jump on it right away because it may go away. There was no driveability issue with mine while the light was on.

#6 ·
This may sound like a rather simplistic answer to your dilemma, but in my last car, a supercharged Grand Prix, the engine light would regularly turn itself on. The solution: I was not tightening down the gas cap after refueling. That's it. Went away entirely once I started doing this properly. Just a thought.

#7 ·
I had a 98 GT and the check engine light came on.
The dealer connected their computer to the car and it said the oxygen sensors (BOTH)
were bad.(The front 2, it had 4 total).
I had them replaced and the light went out.
In about 3 weeks the light came back on, took it back to the dealer and he called
Ford in Michigan and the head person told them it was the mass air meter.
They had run test before and all the test stated the mass air meter was OK..
The mechanic said he was going to replace the mass air meter anyway, and guess what, IT WORKED...
Hope you have some good luck on it.
STEEDA BULLITT

#9 ·
There is a separate warning light for the gas cap. I believe it's on the tach.

#11 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-13 16:37, Rob00GT wrote:
There is a separate warning light for the gas cap. I believe it's on the tach.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but the owner's manual does say the check engine light will come on if the gas cap isn't secured tightly.

#12 ·
Next time the light is on, go to the nearest Autozone and they will plug in their OBD II code reader and tell you what code is being tripped. For FREE no less.....believe it!! That way you will know what to tell the dealer before they hack away at your car. As far as resetting your computer, remove the negative terminal for a long time for all the juice to run out of the computer. I let mine sit for hours, overnight usually. And then when you hook it back up drive at least 10 miles at varying speeds to let the relearning process complete. I do this after any mods. The autozone thing saved me from leaving my car for a day at the dealership. They replaced the O2 sensor while i waited. My 2 centz

gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GT on 2001-12-08 21:49 ]</font>

#13 ·
The check engine light will go out by itself if after the 3 driving cycles (Cold Starts) and the problem has gone away.

The number one problem for the check engine light is the PDFE sensor thingy my bob, Something to do with the EGR system.

Like my dealer told me, hell its a yellow light not red, drive it......course I did not listen to that.

#15 ·
Take it in and let them read the code. Resetting the battery is just prolonging finding out what is causing the problem. #227 had the light go on at about 2000 miles. Ford had to replace something, but I don't recall what it was. Could have been EGR. But they fixed it rigth away and the ligh did not come on again. The gas warning is very different. Low Fuel and the gas gage goes to 0. Loosen the cap and then tighten it back up and that problem goes away;-)...

But I would just go in and get it checked out and fixed.

Take care.

Bud

#16 ·
I put an o/r basani on my car and the mil eliminators which are suposed to bypas the o2 sensor codes. They worked for a while but now I get a cel light every 50 to 100 miles. I am to the point where I am just going to take the light bulb out . lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.