Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my bullitt,I keep getting an SES light and the Check Fuel Cap light. Not to long after I bought the car the SES light came on, so I took it to Autozone and had it scanned. The code they found was for a Large Emissions Leak, they said it was probably because the fuel cap wasn't on tight. I took the cap off, screwed it on tight and unplugged the battery cable for ten minutes to reset the computer. The SES light stayed off, but after awhile the Check Fuel Cap light came on. I reinstalled the fuel cap , the light stayed on for days so once again I reset the computer. For the last two months both the SES light with the same code(Large Emissions Leak) and the Check Fuel Cap light has been coming on. So I bought a brand new Ford factory gas cap thinking this would finally fix the problem, but it didn't help at all. All the time this is happening the car is running great, absolutely nothing at all changes with lights on. If anyone has any advice at all I would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You most likely do not have a fuel cap leak. A large leak is a large EVAP leak, or evaporative emissions. Basically, the computer is constantly checking the pressure of your fuel tank and realted systems with a sensor. When it detects a leak in fuel vapors, it'll trip the SES light. A gas cap will trigger a small leak. A large leak can be attributed to a number of different things, and unfortunately there's no real home diagnosis for this. You'll have to bring it to the dealership or good repair shop to check your EVAP system and hook up a smoke machine to check for leaks. Sorry, but good luck!!

Also, welcome to IMBOC!!:D Glad to see you made it, and please register your Bullitt number on the Registry!!:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The #1 most common reason this code is set.... filling up the gas tank while the car is running. Have you done this lately? If not then you may have a fuel cap that has lost the O-ring or a crack in a evap line.
Good luck, and welcome
Steve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts