Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a 2004 BMW 530i with the upgraded stereo (Harmon Kardon). That stereo would be tough to beat. I researched the shaker 1000 and decided to go with it. Someone said the mid range was a problem and I agree. If you listen, the highs are good as well as the bass, but the poor mid range makes it sound like and am radio. Anyway, on a message board some guy who could be totally full of it said to buy some Infinity Reference 6812cf on ebay and switch them with the rear deck speakers to solve problem. I bought some for about $60 and will have them installed on Friday 1/2/09. I will report back.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yep... thought my shaker 1000 was pretty good until I started replacing parts of it.... Rear deck speakers were pretty much low end junk... replaced those first and got a nice improvement. The door speakers where a better quality but I replaced those too... again another nice improvement! I replaced all 4 speakers with 4 Eclipse speakers... don't remember the exact model... but I'm thinking they were like $100 to $110 for a pair... I was simply amazed at the difference!

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I don't know for sure ,but I think the only thing that would give us a better mid range is new speakers . I had a 1999 SHO that had a great stereo. I installed a new set of 4 way speakers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If they are 5x7, you could certainly make them fit a 6x8.

Same goes for the doors, which I believe are an arbitrary 5.25" or something. Many folks have swapped for 6" ones with great success.

Another thing to mention, I've played with the settings quite a bit with my Shaker 500, and if you go through the Menu options, you'll find one labeled ALL SEATS, or REAR SEATS. I've noticed significantly clearer audio, highs, mids and lows, from setting this to REAR SEATS and then adjusting the Bass a hair over mid way, and the Treble a touch back from full.

Not sure why this would be the case, perhaps the setting in the radio is messed up from the factory, because it seems that the ALL SEATS setting would be best, go figure.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
jymontoya said:
If they are 5x7, you could certainly make them fit a 6x8.

Same goes for the doors, which I believe are an arbitrary 5.25" or something. Many folks have swapped for 6" ones with great success.

Another thing to mention, I've played with the settings quite a bit with my Shaker 500, and if you go through the Menu options, you'll find one labeled ALL SEATS, or REAR SEATS. I've noticed significantly clearer audio, highs, mids and lows, from setting this to REAR SEATS and then adjusting the Bass a hair over mid way, and the Treble a touch back from full.

Not sure why this would be the case, perhaps the setting in the radio is messed up from the factory, because it seems that the ALL SEATS setting would be best, go figure.

CHEERS!
I did the same thing and noticed an improvement, too.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The reason is the cheap speakers Ford uses for its mid/high sets. replace all 4 main speaker locations with a good quality 6x8 speaker and you should be good to go. BTW- a 6x8 and a 5x7 are the same thing, but the 6x8 has a bigger mid cone, so go for them for a fuller sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments. I saw the all seats in the menu but never fooled with it go figure. Hell, I just hit the aux button after two weeks and realized I had Sirius already set up.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it the concensus, then, that the Shaker 1000 is worth the price difference over the 500 because it has the wiring and locations in which to install better speakers?

It appears that my best choice in audio AND navigation is to buy a Bullitt with the Shaker 1000 and retrofit either a Ford nav system or an aftermarket nav system such as the Eclipse AVN6620 or other high quality system.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Pat H.,

The two shakers have the same number of speakers; the 1000 has the extra sub in the truck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
fox1x said:
Pat H.,

The two shakers have the same number of speakers; the 1000 has the extra sub in the truck.
Ford says the 1000 has ten speakers while the 500 has six speakers, two more in the doors and two subs in the rear. And, of course, 1000 watts versus 500 watts to drive the additional speakers I'd guess.

Is that not correct?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Technically, yes. The Shaker 500 includes 2 6x8 co-axial speakers in the doors (thats 4) two door mounted subs and 2 more 6x8 speakers in the back deck for a total of 8 speakers, with 500 watts rated power. The 1000 system adds two more amps (for the extra 500 watts) and the two trunk mounted subs, for a total of 10 speakers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for correcting the information, Marc.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So the 1000 just adds 2 subs.. I thought it was just one... oh well, I just know the lack of trunk space with the 1000 kind of swayed me away from it.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,282 Posts
todd762 said:
I traded a 2004 BMW 530i with the upgraded stereo (Harmon Kardon). That stereo would be tough to beat. I researched the shaker 1000 and decided to go with it. Someone said the mid range was a problem and I agree. If you listen, the highs are good as well as the bass, but the poor mid range makes it sound like and am radio. Anyway, on a message board some guy who could be totally full of it said to buy some Infinity Reference 6812cf on ebay and switch them with the rear deck speakers to solve problem. I bought some for about $60 and will have them installed on Friday 1/2/09. I will report back.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
Not nitpicking, but I'm unclear on why you'd shell out $60 on something given on advice of someone "who could be full of it."

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,282 Posts
Pat H. said:
Is it the concensus, then, that the Shaker 1000 is worth the price difference over the 500 because it has the wiring and locations in which to install better speakers?

It appears that my best choice in audio AND navigation is to buy a Bullitt with the Shaker 1000 and retrofit either a Ford nav system or an aftermarket nav system such as the Eclipse AVN6620 or other high quality system.
By this logic then, the best thing to do would be to buy a Bullitt, then yank the 4.6 and install a Chevy big-block 454, right? :lol:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
fox1x said:
So the 1000 just adds 2 subs.. I thought it was just one... oh well, I just know the lack of trunk space with the 1000 kind of swayed me away from it.
2 subs in 1 enclosure, mounted on the passenger side if the trunk. I does lessen the amount of usable trunk space.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts