Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Preamp outputs are only needed if you plan to add an extra amplifier. Almost all aftermarket head units come with them now, and they can be added to the stock head unit a couple of different ways. One way is to use a passive line-level output converter, which is a dirty way, cuts the volume to the speakers it is attached to, and gives off a very noisy signal. The cleaner way is to use an active line-level output converter that requires a 12v power source and draws signal from the line-level outputs going from the head unit to the stock shaker amps. I'll be doing this shortly as I am going to add a couple of 12" kicker L5's to my trunk with a 1000w amp.

If you just plan on replacing the head unit, however, you really don't need to worry about it. I would get a unit that has 3 pairs of outputs, however, with one for the front, rear, and subwoofer just to allow yourself the ability to expand in the future. I am not sure, however, that your current sirius antenna will be able to interface with your new head unit.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.