Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving around today and saw a black GT with a shaker on it, and I knew then that I gotta get one. Problem I got is that I have a JLT CAI. First question, I don't wanna cut my hood so anyone know where I can get ahold of a mach 1 hood painted black? Second, I doubt I can hook the shaker to the JLT, so how can I get the most power out of that kind of set up? Return to stock and hook it to that? Any input would be nice. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Look on the Mach 1 registry or eBay for the hood and shaker setup.

From what I've understood, the ram-air effect of the shakers system on the Machs is only really effective at something like 70mph+. So, if you do it, don't expect to feel or see (dyno) any outrageous gains. It's more of an appearance thing.

Also, if you have a JLT (i do!), and you want a nice custom thing going on with the shaker, I'm sure you can fab something up to route air from the scoop to the JLT....assuming you have the RAI and not the fender-well version. (I have the RAI, in that case, you could figure something out.)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ok... I have the shaker and like you I would love to switch out my hood for a Mach hood but there is a differenct!!! The mounting of the shaker on the 2V is different than the 4V.
I'm sure there is a way to do it but straight out of the box no there isn't. The Mach is much higher than mine and it's really evident when you set them beside each other!
Yes I've heard that you get no gains until around 75mph and like the Mach you will notice a hesitation from time to time when you say get behind tractor trailers. They will create a negative air flow into the scoop and you CAN feel it!!
I'm not saying do it or don't do it... I love mine but I want you to know that your NOT going to improve performance just looks!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Figured I'd put up a couple pic's while I was here.

·
Car Whisperer
21,578 Posts
I have the Mach 1 hood on mine with the shaker set up. I have a Pauls High Performance CAI that I adapted to the shaker snorkel.

If I am not mistaken, JLT has a Mach 1 cold air kit, maybe you could purchase just the air box from them and then use the Mach 1 snorkel on it. If you do, you will either have to use a Mach 1 shaker or modify the CDC shaker to make it work. The mounting hole on the CDC shaker for the snorkel is a different shape than the Mach 1 mounting hole.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I don't like to hear any of that. LOL! I checked the price on those shakers after I read an article in MM&FF on a bullitt with one from CDC and wow, thats a nice investment for minimal performance. Add a hood to that price and that would just be silly.
I wanted to go Cobra R hood but my girlfriend got mad at me saying that I dont have a cobra R so I can't have the hood. I wish I had a better idea of what to do.
Thanks everyone for the input and the pictures look great.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Loaded said:
Wow, I don't like to hear any of that. LOL! I checked the price on those shakers after I read an article in MM&FF on a bullitt with one from CDC and wow, thats a nice investment for minimal performance. Add a hood to that price and that would just be silly.
I wanted to go Cobra R hood but my girlfriend got mad at me saying that I dont have a cobra R so I can't have the hood. I wish I had a better idea of what to do.
Thanks everyone for the input and the pictures look great.

Is this your car or your girlfriend's car? You don't have a Mach1 either but she will let you have that hood? :rolleyes:

It's YOUR car, do whatever makes YOU happy!

P.S. I don't have a Cobra R either. Hope your girlfriend doesn't get mad about my hood!! :badgrin:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True its mine and to tell the truth she was not all for the shaker but wasn't boldly against it. I do though value her opinion and respect her taste. She said I would be a poser with a cobra R hood. (her authority comes from her '03 terminator which lays down about 420hp) Honestly though, YOUR CAR LOOKS SWEET!! That paint is awesome too.
I did happen to find something else I like while browsing through MM&FF yesterday. It's called the Colt hood and its on www.extremedimensions.com
Any opinions? I would probably get hood pins too.

·
Car Whisperer
21,578 Posts
didn't come up on the site.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Loaded said:
True its mine and to tell the truth she was not all for the shaker but wasn't boldly against it. I do though value her opinion and respect her taste. She said I would be a poser with a cobra R hood. (her authority comes from her '03 terminator which lays down about 420hp) Honestly though, YOUR CAR LOOKS SWEET!! That paint is awesome too.
I did happen to find something else I like while browsing through MM&FF yesterday. It's called the Colt hood and its on www.extremedimensions.com
Any opinions? I would probably get hood pins too.

The mods to my B were done by the previous owner. I actually wasn't sure about the hood or flames until I saw the car in person. I absolutely love it now. I also like the Terminator hood on a B.

I'm only putting down 400rwhp so maybe my car is a poser. But hey it's mine and it sure is fun to drive.

As to your question for opinions on the Colt hood.

http://www.extremedimensions.com/7579.html

http://images.extremedimensions.com/otheredimages/99_mustangcolthood2.jpg

Kinda hard to tell in that pic. Not sure I like it. May be like mine though I might like it in person. I definately like the Terminator hood better. But hey it's your car so if you like it go for it.

·
Car Whisperer
21,578 Posts
I originally wanted to do the Terminator hood also since it mimic'd more closely the 68 hood. But I love looking over that scoop and had it not been for my friend's Mach 1, I would not have known so well how it looked. Now that I finally made the choice and made the change, I love looking over that Shaker!!!!!

Like has already been said, it's your car, get the one you like. I take heat (part of the reason for the quote..."...whom all men disowned" in my signature) from people all the time about not keeping my Bullitt stock appearing, but I am taking what I like best from several cars and making mine.....mine.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Frankenstang said:
Like has already been said, it's your car, get the one you like. I take heat (part of the reason for the quote..."...whom all men disowned" in my signature) from people all the time about not keeping my Bullitt stock appearing, but I am taking what I like best from several cars and making mine.....mine.
Amen to this and what Brad says. It's your car, you are the only one you have to please. As for the "poser" thing there are almost zero cars left on this site with no mods. Lots of the mods we do are borrowed from another model Mustang, Mach 1 spoiler, shaker hood, etc. Those who have stayed completely original may end up being rewarded some day if our cars appreciate in the collector car world. For the rest of us who have done anything from a few little things to all out cosmetic and performance mods we still feel we belong to a very limited group of owners of a low production tribute car. While I admire the passion and purity of the owners of truly original Bullitts I have to say that pretty much all of my favorite Bullitts on this site have more than a few mods done to them. The two posted just before my post are in that group. So do what you want with your car. The Cobra R hoods look great, so do the heat exchanger hoods, shakers, and yes, even the stock hoods......John R

·
Registered
873 Posts
MaineBullitt said:

Amen to this and what Brad says. It's your car, you are the only one you have to please. As for the "poser" thing there are almost zero cars left on this site with no mods. Lots of the mods we do are borrowed from another model Mustang, Mach 1 spoiler, shaker hood, etc. Those who have stayed completely original may end up being rewarded some day if our cars appreciate in the collector car world. For the rest of us who have done anything from a few little things to all out cosmetic and performance mods we still feel we belong to a very limited group of owners of a low production tribute car. While I admire the passion and purity of the owners of truly original Bullitts I have to say that pretty much all of my favorite Bullitts on this site have more than a few mods done to them. The two posted just before my post are in that group. So do what you want with your car. The Cobra R hoods look great, so do the heat exchanger hoods, shakers, and yes, even the stock hoods......John R

Thanks, John. I've always loved your car. I wanted it when it was posted for sale but couldn't work anything out at the time.

I agree my favorite Bullitt's on this site all have several mods done to them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Get the 03/04 Cobra hood and a chin spoiler and you'll be good to go. That combo offers a very clean look.

·
Car Whisperer
21,578 Posts
MaineBullitt said:

While I admire the passion and purity of the owners of truly original Bullitts I have to say that pretty much all of my favorite Bullitts on this site have more than a few mods done to them. The two posted just before my post are in that group. So do what you want with your car. The Cobra R hoods look great, so do the heat exchanger hoods, shakers, and yes, even the stock hoods......John R[/I]
Thanx for the kind words, there are several on here that are my favorites, with yours being one of them as well. I admire how nice the overall job is you did.

I must say when you attend some of the Bullitt events, one of the most exciting parts for me is to see what each has done to their car and also to see in person some of the cars I have admired from pics and signatures on this site. Truly variety is the spice of life and imagine if every time you went to a Bullitt or other Mustang event if every Bullitt was identical (except possibly for the color). I for one, would soon get bored.

Let the mods flow!!!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel like the most indecisive person on the planet. LOL! I ran alot of races last night (including beating a Camaro SS in front of a bunch of people, its quarter is a 12.4 :) ) and I have come to realize that I like my stock hood for now. I played with an SRT-4 on my way home and didn't beat him by as much as I wanted to, so I have decided that I am power hungry again. I wish I had enough money for forced induction, but does anyone have any cam/head combo suggestions?
As for the poser thing.. I personally am all for modding cars as long as the modded car can back up what they are representing. My example is that last night a saw a Mustang with a stock GT motor..however, it had a full Saleen body kit with the badges that even boasted a supercharger. He had the wheels, grill, and the full setup including lambo doors. I honestly laughed in his face when he told me what was under the hood.
I love the hoods to death but I have to accept that a cobra R is outta my league (for now). Granted if I was throwin down 400hp that wouldn't be a problem. All of you posting about appearance mods are putting enough power down to back up what you have, so I can't say anything bad. Your cars look awesome. I am still in love with 1094's paint job.
I not trying to get anyone mad. I just speaking my mind. The real point I am trying to say is: Vortech'd Bullitt with heat extractor and Roush Body Kit-Sweet, Stock GT pretending to have 150 more horsepower-Not.

·
Car Whisperer
21,578 Posts
is VT still making cams?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.