Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok-so this doesn't relate to the Bullitt specifically, but it is prepping my winter car so the Bullitt can stay nice and cozy through the winter months. Please help me...

I was removing the thermostat housing on my Syclone to install a 180dg. thermostat. The front bolt sheared off even with the block. I tried tapping it out with a punch and hammer, no luck. I drilled the bolt, screwed in an easy-out and began unscrewing to easy-out the bolt out, well you guessed it, the easy out cracked flushed with the already stuck bolt. What are my next options? I've tried drilling out the easy-out, but it is hardened steel. Should I get a diamond tipped drill bit, and go that route? Please help me!! I don't know what else to try. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I have successfully drilled out an easy-out, it can be done. Like Nasty said, you need a good bit and a drill with some azz. Good Luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Before you try to ease out ,put some Krull or other good penetration fluid on bolt to help loosen the bolt.The ease out will work better.

·
Registered
959 Posts
All the methods Nasty described are your next courses of action. Heat is a good idea too or a good overnight soaking with penetrant.

Short of that, getting someobe to hit it with a plasma cutter, die grinding it out with a carbide burr and helicoiling the hole.

Good luck!

Brian

·
Registered
568 Posts
I speak from experience (unfortunately) when I say it pays to have someone else do it. Just start calling around & see who's willing to do it. A local machine shop is probably your best bet, but a dealership might do it, too. Broken bolts can become a nightmare & I find I only make it worse when I try getting them out. The only success I've had was with my 302 when I took it over to a friends house & he welded a nut to the bolts & backed them out. It took over an hour for each. What a pain; it would've been simpler if I hadn't tried backing them out first. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would gladly offer $100 to take that bothersome Syclone off of your hands if it keeps causing you problems.:wink: Maybe even $200.

John G.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, here is my story/experience....

Working on my buddy's 440 GTX and "we" (I told him to turn harder) busted an exhaust manifold stud. For those of you that don't know about Mopar engines, they thread studs into the head, then use these funky nuts to hold the manifolds on. Anyways, we busted an EZ-out off in there too, and ended up taking the head off and down to a machine shop.

HOWEVER, one good piece of advice that we found was to get a reverse-twist drill bit. That way, when you are trying to drill out the EZ-out, it'll likely come out on it's own accord. Problem was they were tough to find locally, but can be ordered easily enough.

That'll prob get your EZ-out out, then I'd just drill the old bolt hold and go with a Heli-coil or Carr-Lane insert. It's right there on top, so "SHOULDN'T" be that tough to install an insert.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bullittheads to the rescue!! Thanks guys-I really appreciate all of your help. I will try these methods on Saturday. And of course, last resort I'll take it somewhere. I don't know though...I would feel like such a dork, "uh, yea, trying to fix my car I made it worse..." just what a mechanic wants to hear. I guess I'll swallow pride if I have to.

John G.-"pesky Syclone" you got it!! What a pain to keep running in tip top shape, but oh...it's so worth it!! Almost as cool as the Bullitt;) I really love the truck...it's getting some pretty significant mods right now...upgraded fuel system, new turbo(just a little bigger), exhaust, etc. etc. Maybe if you offered $300.....

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
And of course, last resort I'll take it somewhere. I don't know though...I would feel like such a dork, "uh, yea, trying to fix my car I made it worse..." just what a mechanic wants to hear. I guess I'll swallow pride if I have to.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about? Mechanics LOVE gearheads 'cause sometimes we screw things up so bad professionals are necessary to fix our screw-ups. When I first bought my 85 GT, I was trying to change the starter & I couldn't get the top bolt off. Figuring it was just spinning on itself, I finally called a local shop to pick it up 'cause I just couldn't get the bolt out. So, the tow truck comes to the house, takes the car & about 20 minutes later I get a phone call,
"Yeah, we got the old one off & put your new starter on."
"Already! That was fast. How did you get the bolt out so quickly?"
"Did you know there's a nut on the back of it?"
Dohhhhh!! I still get reminded of that one from a few friends back home. What a waste of money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts