Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a while back a few people were discussing putting an ivory white Hurst shift ball on their shifters but their was some question of fit and finish. Well I ran across this in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and thought a few might be interested. They have Black and Ivory White. Maybe you could have the Hurst “H” embossed on it?? I ordered one in black today. If anyone is interested I will post my thoughts on the piece after I receive it. www.fatknobs.com

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i'm NOT EVEN going there 1302! -LOL

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
every guy (sorry ladies : this is a guy thing i do not presume to assume otherwise ) needs a good size knob in his hand. not to big , not to small. it must be firm and well kept..no nicks or scratchs. as to the color... white , black makes no difference just so you can hold onto that thing for all its worth and as long as you can after all when u think of it, isn't that all that really matters? god bless hurst

·
Registered
224 Posts
What's wrong with the stock knob? I thought it was one of the cooler things in the car (well, interior anyway). I know it gets hot, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a thing wrong with the stock knob as far as aesthetics go. A couple things I have found though have put me in the search for something more functional. Since I have changed to a Steeda Tri-Ax I have found that removing ALL of the rubber insulation has produced MUCH more heat than the stock shifter and that all transfers directly into the aluminum. This wouldn't be so bad except I have also found that the coating on the knob gets slick when my palm sweats. Also my other complaint would be that it is a little small for my taste. I have large hands and I can make this thing completely disappear in my palm with my fingers wrapped around and touching the bottom part of my palm on the bottom of the knob. This may not be an issue for some. And yes, aesthetically the stocker is perfect. I'm just looking for something that suits me. When I found this I thought I would offer it up for consideration for those that wanted the Hurst look. Bottom line is...it isn't my car until I have added my spin. That is what the Mustang ownership experience is all about. I retain all my stock parts to reinstall later and have a unique limited edition Mustang that is uniquely mine! :-B

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Every person should have the knob they want
75 bottles of beer on the wall

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
HURST,does make a classic type white ball with the 5 speed pattern,I have it on my HURST,clone shift lever. You may be able to get it to fit the stock shifter by using a spacer. The stock ball has a long spacer made on to it. As soon as I get a chance I will try to post a pic. of my setup. Trying to figure out the wifes new digital camera!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-08-10 21:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
264 Posts
Love the stock know....also like the MGW one. I haven't had any heat problems from my Tri-Ax. I simply put a thin rubber piece between the shifter handle and the base. Problem solved, no heat or noise.

Paul G.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PBGas I took your advice when I installed my Tri-ax shifter. It appears to work about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time I get a buzzing sound. What's your take on this? Do you think it is a problem with the tranny or as they said over in Stangnet just additional nois from the new shifter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-10 14:02, Lok N Lod wrote:
I remember a while back a few people were discussing putting an ivory white Hurst shift ball on their shifters but their was some question of fit and finish. Well I ran across this in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and thought a few might be interested. They have Black and Ivory White. Maybe you could have the Hurst “H” embossed on it?? I ordered one in black today. If anyone is interested I will post my thoughts on the piece after I receive it. http://www.fatknobs.com

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like to see it...I like the black one also. Post your impressions of it when you install it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Has anyone seen a T-handle Hurst for the Mustang? I like the Bullitt ball, but if I'm going to change out, I want something completely different.

I found one, but it had a red button for the NOx. No thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, who says you have to use the little red button for an NOS? It's just a contact switch....use it for something else, like say hook up a police siren under your hood and then use the button to trigger it. Then do those flashing corner lights someone else here did. You could win EVERY race you ran if they thought you were a cop!!!! Also....fits the image of the car!! ROTFL!
:-B

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Thanks for the link... I'm close to picking it up. But- I have to see what the electric bill is for the month. :sad:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anything I can do to help. If it's anywhere on the net I can usually find it. Good Luck....those summer power bills suck with the A/C runnin.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-16 10:33, DP-Jedi wrote:
I have the Hurst Classic knob, in black, on my GT:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the knob and I must say I like it. It has a nice 2 1/4" diameter and the weight is wonderful. It weighs roughly the same amount as a billiard ball and the shifts feel VERY positive. Also with this knob it is made out of resin and doesn't conduct heat AT ALL. I know it isn't a shiny silver ball but as far as shift confindence this fits and feels better in my hand. It also shortens the throw of the shifter a little more because the knob hasn't got the neck on it the stock piece does. Most of the threading is in the ball rather than in the neck on the stock piece. That is my review. Take it as you will.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-08-19 03:11 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts