Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the weekend the bullitt received a new mgw shifter. the install was a peice of cake with taco bill's instructions on the laptop. i never even looked at the instructions that came from mgw. another thing that made the install easier was that i dropped the driveshaft and installed a denny's one piece steel unit after the shifter was all snugged in. the current setting on the shifter is on the maximum 50% reduction, and the action is still "tight" in its movements. i am sure it will loosen up a bit after a little more seat time. i should also add that my stock shift knob threaded up perfectly on the mgw supplied handle.

there is a little bit of extra noise coming through, and suprisingly for me, i have decided i like it!:eek: i used all the insulation provided with the shifter as well as tossing back in what came from the factory too. the extra noise is difficult to describe in that i hear it with my ears and i feel it through the handle of the shifter simoultaneously. i am not sure which of my senses is being stimulated more. i definitely feel more connected with the tranny over the stock shifter. the mgw shifter is a precision piece, and i send many thanks to mgw for a super upgrade.:D

as far as the driveshaft goes, it is lighter than the stock unit by about 20 lbs or so, and a few pounds heavier than an aluminum one piece driveshaft. combined with udp's, the car just revs up effortlessly and much, much quicker than stock. i understand now why some folks install a shift light. she has been up to 115 mph so far, and there are zero vibration issues with the driveshaft. it is as smooth as butter. and also, i am pleased to report, no more clunking sounds inherent with the old two piece driveshaft. hurray!:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
... no more clunking sounds inherent with the old two piece driveshaft. hurray!
Congrats on the install of your new pieces! I have heard nothing but good things regarding the MGW shifter.

You may have just sold a 1-piece drive shaft to me with your write up.

Post some pics!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Brother Gerald,There is a 12 step program for mod addicts such as yourself.I think step one is drag radials,I might be mistaken but that's how mine went:lol:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do you think the extra noise could be from the driveshaft and not the shifter!?

I always heard the MGW made it quieter!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 stepsto good vibrations

originally posted by 08Shifter:

Brother Gerald,There is a 12 step program for mod addicts such as yourself.I think step one is drag radials,I might be mistaken but that's how mine went
12 steps you say? is that all? i'm already on step 6, and i refuse to stop at a mere 12! :D and next time we hook up i want you to drive her for a comparo to your old shelby gt that you liked the handling on so much.

originally posted by jymontoya:

Do you think the extra noise could be from the driveshaft and not the shifter!?

I always heard the MGW made it quieter!

jymontoya,what you asked above ^^^^^ makes sense as i do not have a reference point for having the mgw shifter installed with the factory driveshaft still in place. since i read your words i would say a better way to describe what i am sensing with the mgw shifter is that i am feeling a slightly (and i stress slightly) higher degree of noise/vibration being transmitted through the shifter.

i would agree it is possible that without the added 2-peice driveshaft dampening out some of the vibrations, i could very well be feeling extra vibrations being transmitted through the shifter that may not even be present if the factory 2-piece were still in there "soaking up" some of the vibes. good point there!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't think I've ever driven a short throw without some increase is NVH.Noise Vibration and Harshness are usually not large concerns of aftermarket shifter manufacturers.
A slight increase is normal.you should drive one with a HURST installed,Feels like the transmission has about 150k on it after the install noisewise.
I'll have to see if I can outshift your synchros.Ask Terry and he'll explain:lol:

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
pictures??

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
08 Shifter said:
I don't think I've ever driven a short throw without some increase is NVH.Noise Vibration and Harshness are usually not large concerns of aftermarket shifter manufacturers.
A slight increase is normal.you should drive one with a HURST installed,Feels like the transmission has about 150k on it after the install noisewise.
I'll have to see if I can outshift your synchros.Ask Terry and he'll explain:lol:
Mark,

Can do It :lol: :lol: :lol:

tigerhonaker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.