Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the threads for the Steeda shifter that many of you have chosen. Does anyone know if Hurst also has a shorter throw shifter for the Bullitt(GT)? If so, how does it compare to the Steeda.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
steeda was the 1st to come out with an aftermarket shifter for the new Tremec tranny! i've heard at least one other company has one coming too! more will soon follow i'm sure

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I don't think Hurst has a shifter for the Tremec 3650. I've sent them two emails asking when they are going to have one and not received any response. I had a billet plus on my last T5 and it was great. I'm waiting to se if they put one out for the 3650.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I have the Steeda shifter and I like it, mainly because of the stops. Pro-5.0 has theirs out too. I personally don't like them, alot of people do. We have an 89 5.0 Coupe with one in it and it seems to be placed better for the passenger than the driver :eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just installed the Steeda shifter in my black Bullitt #3601. I like the nice positive shifts and the adjustable stops. Some have complained about the added noise. However, I don't think it is that bad. Besides it's a hot rod

·
Registered
48 Posts
The stock shifter in 4942 is the nicest feel of any manual shift car I've driven - especially the ease of getting into reverse. I guess I'd have to try an aftermarket unit to see the difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have to agree with that as well. I had a BMW that on the street felt great, but on the track would sometimes 'lose' itself in high rpm 4-3 or 3-2 downshifts, even with plenty of blip revs. But this was due to the transmission moving around a little, not the shifter, and the fix was to add a transmission brace.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mention the BullittClub, and they get right on it...at least it seems that way. :smile: Here’s a link to the response I got from Hurst.

http://www.mrgasket.com/maildirect/helpdesk/problemdetail.asp?id=3490&TicketID=3490

Added this incase Hurst deletes response.
Hank

Mr. Gasket Helpdesk:
Question:
Does Hurst have a shifter for this transmission? I called yesterday and the person I talked to said no. He seemed like he didn't even know all 2001 V8 Mustangs have gone to the 3650 transmission? Steeda is selling a bunch of shifters for this tranny already. Check www.Bullittclub.com and see how many people are replacing the stock shifter with a Steeda. I'd prefer to have a Billet Plus similar to the one I had in my 89 Mustang with the T5 but it seems Hurst doesn't care if they're loosing sales. I can't wait forever so if Hurst isn't going to have a shifter for this tranny, let me know so I can get the Steeda. Henry Blattel BTW: This is not the first time I've contacted Hurst with no reply.
Vehicle/Engine Specifications:
Make:
Ford Model:
Mustang Bullitt
Engine Size:
4.6 liter Transmission Type:
Tremec TR-3650
Modifications: none
Discussion Topics: shifters
Solution:
Sir, No we do not have a shifter available for the Tremec 3650 trans. However we do have one in the works. It should be ready by the first quarter of 2002.

Hankster, DHG No. 2634

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hblattel on 2001-10-01 01:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's my plan right now. I've got one of the twisted shift knobs, so first order of business will be to get that one off! Got the MGW knob on order. If Hurst brings out a billet plus shifter for the Bullitt's TR-3650 tranny it will go in next.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have pro 5.0 in my 91 & 94 and they both work great. i had to take a hurst out of my 94 because the detent springs broke and it rattled on accel.will be installing a pro 5.0 in the bullitt tomm. got at fordspeed for $169.00 the triax is made from a softer metal than pro 5.0

·
Registered
250 Posts
Go with the steeda shifter. the shifter handle is adjustable.And you don't have to cut the inner boot for the shifter to fit. PRO 5.0 you have to cut the boot hence more
road noise and heat. The handle is to low for
the '99 and up cars, And is not adjustable.
Hurst is not the same company it was in the late '60s and '70s. to bad.
You may also have to change the factory knob
becuase it gets hot after the change. i went
with guess what the hurst knob in white,they also come in black.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Go with a pro 5.0 base and a steeda or MGW handle the strong base and good short handle.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm still holding out for the Hurst. Had the Billet Plus in my 89 5.0 No problems at all and no noise. True, you have to cut the stock shifter cover under the boot but if you do it right, it's tighter than the stock one. With the oil seal and second rubber boot they supplied there was no way dirt got in to grind it up.

Hank

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
i've had my Tri-Ax in for a few months now and i'm wavering just a little.
i love the positive shifts and the adjustable "stops". it a VERY nice feel when you shift
on the other hand, there is much more noise than the stock shifter and i am very surprised by how much more heat transmission there is!!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks john!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts