Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to upgrade the shifter on my 3650 and need some advice. Basically, I'd like to know what shifter you went to, why you chose it, and whether you are happy with it.

I tried a search, but using shifter was too vague to be of use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went with the Hurst about 5 years ago and have no complaints.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
agreed, all pretty good
Triax and MGW are regarded as the best it seems like.

I've had my Triax now for 40k miles and it's better than ever. Gets smoother with time. 200% required mods for these cars IMHO.

I kept hte stock handle & knob, but removed the rubber isolator in the handle base mount nad put the aluminum spacer plugs in there.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
Triax may be on of the "best" because it's the most popular. MGW may be in your same category because they have the most recent upgrade on the market as far as shifters for the 3650. I personally had the triax, loved it, but went to the Hurst, because I wanted that retro look (hurst bar and T handle) and it feels crisper, but quieter. Even more quiet with a piece of bike tire innertube between the shifter arm and stick...

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
MustangMarkus said:
Triax may be on of the "best" because it's the most popular. MGW may be in your same category because they have the most recent upgrade on the market as far as shifters for the 3650. I personally had the triax, loved it, but went to the Hurst, because I wanted that retro look (hurst bar and T handle) and it feels crisper, but quieter. Even more quiet with a piece of bike tire innertube between the shifter arm and stick...
That is true. i almost forgot about that, weird since i have a rear seat delete with no sound deadining material and neither does my Tri-Ax. lol. all that gear noise gets me all chummy...i mean...er...nevermind. Anyways, yah if you want a quieter ride with a better shifter id go Hurst.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I went with a Pro 5.0...

Why?: I had heard some good things about them, and it truely was a toss up between Pro 5.0 and MGW. I played with a friend's in his Mach I and liked it... I found one on the Mach I forum for $100 shipped to the door with no visible wear on it.

Now it's a Pro 5.0 with a Hurst Stalk and Hurst T-Handle. It's been in the car almost 2 years, and has close to 30,000 miles on it. I don't regret my choice one bit.

Edited to add pic... Since the one below me had the Hurst..

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have the tri-ax and like it very much, looks stock. Anything is better than the stock shifter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a Pro 5.0, I always had good experiences with these for my fox body cars, but i honestly do not like it for my Bullitt, it feels too notchy for my personal taste.

Eventually i will swap to a MGW or triax.

Good luck in your search

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went with the mgw on mine. It feels great, and it is very quiet.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have the orange MGW. Like it better than the Tri-ax.

·
Registered
967 Posts
i went with a pro 5.0. my dad put one in his 03 cobra and loved it so i put one in my bullitt. if i had to do it again i would stick with a pro 5.0 hands down. i love it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a Pro 5.0. Works flawlessly on the street and the track. The only change was I added the PRO shifter handle with the Hurst pistol grip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I've had an MGW since Jan. 07 and love it. Much better feel and is quiet.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Has anybody seen the green numbered Bullitt shifter balls on MRT's website.

I was wondering if anybody here has this on their shifter. Trying to decide between this and a retro hurst arm & t handle...John R

:cool:

Edited because for some reason the MRT site let me link this time...JR

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yup this was a IMBOC group buy a long time ago. i have one myself in black, a bunch of others have it as well. most people just like the feel of the different handels.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advice, it has been very helpful in narrowing down my choices. Looks like the MGW will win out. Don't like the Hurst handle and already have a Pro 5.0 in the '65. In the toss-up between the Steeda and the MGW, I'll go alphabetically.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts