Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good replacement for the original shift knob. As I'm sure you're aware it gets HOT even if covered from the sun. It got relativley cold here last night (broke a record of 24 yrs) and this morning even with the heat on the knob was freezing like a block of ice. I'll be driving this car in the winter. I would just like to swap out the knob now and not have to worry about burning and/or freezing my hand off. Thinking about one of the ones from MGW. Suggestions? Comments?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
You might,with a bit of machining,get one of those HURST white balls,with the 5 spd. pattern,to work. You may need to make a thread insert to do it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I love the stock knob...but damn does it get hot! I am going to grab one of the MGW ones....they just make great quality stuff!

Paul G.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Get a sock or golf club sock to slip over it. Anyway... real men have an "H" pattern burned into their palms anyway.. :razz:

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
ROFL Brian!!
hey you only have to shift with the shaft(no, no, no!!! don't even go there!!!!!) for a few minutes until the ball is cool enough to grab!!!( once again,.......stop your guttermined filthy thoughts!!!) ROFL!!!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
LOL!

Great one Brian! Puts a new perspective on the "put a sock in it" phrase!

Paul G.

·
Registered
66 Posts
guys,

you should really look into our pony knob as it looks alot like the 35th except for the gripper part that insulates the heat.

here is a pic in my bullitt...

regards
george

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MGWLTD on 2001-07-15 11:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey George-

I have a question, I was looking at your shifters on the web and was wondering what shifter you would recommend? I really like the looks of the composite shifter, but the the gripper looks like a better everyday piece. What would you recommend for daily driver usage? pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
well the composite knob is a great knob and really our main focus was to go after the momo brands. it is three separate machined pieces and its features and/or advantages are...

-pistol grip race design for those that do not like round knobs.

- superior heat insulation for hot climates

- great feel for the drag strip

cons are it only comes with the gear shift pattern and not as much nice looking exposed aluminum.

the gripper knob is an all around great knob with a good advantage over the all metal knobs in that it does have the insulating gripper on it. now the aluminum still gets hot but you can hold the grip until it cools.

advantages are the great licensed ford logos and the ball shape fits most any size hand.

i would opt for the gripper unless you really drive your car alot and live in a very hot climate. the gripper is 20 bucks cheaper and is a great knob.

regards
george

·
Registered
252 Posts
With a short handle on the stock shifter you WILL get 1st 3rd and 5th a little closer to your hand. To make the most difference though you would have to get an aftermarket short throw shifter. I prefer Steeda 1st then Pro 5.0. One of these is a must and I had one in my car 3 weeks after delivery. I am 6'2" with long legs. Consequently I have to set the seat back almost all the way. Now with the Steeda Tri-Ax I have NO problem reaching ANY of the gears. Another nice thing about the steeda is that you can mount 1 shift lever in 2 positions. One for comfort and one for shortest throw. Whereas if you get a Pro 5.0 you have to buy a short and long lever to get the same option. Also the Steeda has a washer to hold the rubber boot on the inside out of the shifter mechanism so it won't get torn up. Something else the Pro 5.0 is without. I wonder if I can get some sort of compensation for all the free advertising I just did.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
George,
You mentioned a group purchase on another post and I like several of your products including the gripper. I hesitate to purchase knowing that you may give us a discount. Can we order and give you the number of our Bullitt to verify with a site moderator or something, in order to get a discount? I ask because I know there are several of us that would like to purchase your products today.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a leather SVO shifting knob from my 2000GT I bout to go with my short throw shifter I had. IT is nice with a short throw shifter becosue it is a inch higher then the regular leather knob.. I bought it for 40$.. IF you want it I will sell it to you for 25$.....

Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts