Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a Bullit and noticed constant vibration through the shifter knob.

All speeds, all gears, vibration.

Is this just something they all do and one has to live with ?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
There is some throughout the rpm range, but it should not be strong nor easily noticable (depending on how sensitive a person is).

Look at it this way, if the shifter was so highly insulated that there was absolutely no vibration, the shift feel would be very numb, soft and mushy. Personally, I think the shift linkage needs to be a bit tougher, as in less insulation, which will mean an aftermarket shifter that will induce more vibration than stock...

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,285 Posts
phong said:
I test drove a Bullit and noticed constant vibration through the shifter knob.

All speeds, all gears, vibration.

Is this just something they all do and one has to live with ?
I haven't noticed a lot of vibration, just that godawful "hanging up" it seems to have.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
I haven't noticed a lot of vibration, just that godawful "hanging up" it seems to have.
What is your shifting style?
Do you use the clutch for all shifting, or just starting out in first and stopping?

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,285 Posts
Palerider said:
What is your shifting style?
Do you use the clutch for all shifting, or just starting out in first and stopping?
Yep, that's it. I stay in 1st everywhere I go, but I'm very careful not to rev it past 6,500 rpm.:lol:

Seriously, yes I do use the clutch... always.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
some vibration is normal. If you keep you hand on the shifter all the time with pressure on the lever in gear you are going to feel more vibration, and you are also going to cause extra wear in the transmission itself.

What other Standard shift car are you used to that has no vibration at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCSignals said:
some vibration is normal. If you keep you hand on the shifter all the time with pressure on the lever in gear you are going to feel more vibration, and you are also going to cause extra wear in the transmission itself.

What other Standard shift car are you used to that has no vibration at all?

My 2002 SVT Focus doesn't vibrate through the shift knob. My old Toyota Tercels didn't either. I thought maybe I felt it in the Bullit because of the bare aluminum knob. I could probably live with it, but was just wondering if it was common to all bullits or the one I was driving had something wrong with it. The vibration was constant, in all gears (upt to third at least), in relatively slow city driving. It wasn't just when shifting.
Thanks for the replies !

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Is it a vibration you feel only or is it accompanied by noise?

I don't notice a whole lot of vibration that isn't normal from a standard transmission in mne.
It's hard to determine not having experience with that particular car, but maybe there isn't something right about it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I must say, I have not noticed anything at all that would concern me, the comment about the solid alum. ball knob though would certainly allow some vibes, but again, if in doubt, look elsewhere and drive another one, compare the 2.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can feel it

I have noticed this slight vibration too. I never thought it wasnt normal though. Hell I like it! Its like I can feel her pulse.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well I took mine in today for a road test with the lead trans. tech and was told it's the characteristics of the car.He felt nothing uncommon.We drove around for a bit.He asked if I would like to see if there were any TSB's on Oasis.All he saw was the one that MustangLynda mentioned. He told me that mine does not fall into that category at this time.

I told him that mine exhibited the 3rd gear clash in the winter.He then said he would have to witness it himself before anything could be done which I understand.I am really not interested in tearing down the transmission for something that happens briefly then goes away after warming up.The 01 Bullitt did it and I survived.

I did get to test drive another 5 speed and it felt the same as mine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
phong said:
My 2002 SVT Focus doesn't vibrate through the shift knob. My old Toyota Tercels didn't either. I thought maybe I felt it in the Bullit because of the bare aluminum knob. I could probably live with it, but was just wondering if it was common to all bullits or the one I was driving had something wrong with it. The vibration was constant, in all gears (upt to third at least), in relatively slow city driving. It wasn't just when shifting.
Thanks for the replies !

The linkage distance on front wheel drive cars are much longer and dampen the vibration greatly. A little vibration is normal and the shifter design on the current Mustangs cut down on it. On the 78 Chevy truck I had it would shake so hard it broke me form the habit of resting my hand on it while driving. While my old Subaru had zero shake in the shifter.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
badasbullitt said:
........ He told me that mine does not fall into that category at this time.

I told him that mine exhibited the 3rd gear clash in the winter.He then said he would have to witness it himself before anything could be done which I understand........
In that case make sure he records that you reported it while still under warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts