Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I remember someone posting on this earlier, but I don't recall what anyone said. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a bit of a clunk shifting into second. It does end up going in fine though. It is only into second though, and it only seems to happen when the car is cold. When it gets warmed up it shifts fine. Is this anything to worry about?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well, I have that a bit too, but I think it's all part of breaking in the tranny and stuff...I heard that the Brembo Cobra trannies are clunky anyway. If it gets worse, take her in.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Seems to get better with miles. One problem I've had is some grinding going into 2nd , for some reason I guess I'm not getting the clutch in all the way. Could be a brain fart! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Ivan, mine has about 570 miles and I'm starting to get the "noise" going into second. It's not a grind and not a clunk, just a noise. Mines at the dealer as we speak. They called and said they got most of the paint taken care of with some polishing and buffing and ordered the new rim for the driver's front. Tomorrow they are going to do the interior items and check the tranny. He told me not to worry because he has ben pulling it inside every night. Hard to really check on him since it's about 45 mins away.
Cam

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have discovered that if you shift at low RPM's (under 2500), there is not so much as a clunk as a clik, more of a "clunk" feel in the shift lever. Keep the rev's up around 3-4K 1-2 and 2-3 shift and you might find this tranny likes this range a bit better....This seems to be closer to the torque and power curve, thus feels better.....

·
Registered
959 Posts
One habit I have is allowing the rpm's to drop so that when I pyll it into the next gear it just drops in without working the synchros. Mine seems to be getting better as it breaks in too.

I still question the choice of using mobil 1 in a transmission. I can't believe it has good enough shear stability for a gear box like a gear oil would have.

Will find out I guess when I switch to redline ShockProof in the next week or 2 when I get under to change the oil.

Brian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine, #451, clunks when engaging the clutch in most gears, 1,2,3. It also will "Lock" me out of 2nd when cold or grind when warm. I've had it at the dealership, and they agree there's a problem. We're waiting on parts to come in...it could be awhile. In the mean time, I'm still driving it.

BTW, I'll inform everyone in detail, when it's fixed, on what they did to fix it.

2001 Bullitt Mustang GT #451 - DHG
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
1969 Mustang Coupe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 69stang on 2001-06-21 12:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
oh no. I hope we are not headed down the road that the T-45's are on. The TR-3650 was supposed to be an improvement on it. Just about every T-45 was a huge POS. I know. I was blessed with one in my '96. Grinding on the 1->2 shift was very common. Some would even occasionally jump out of gear. I guess only time will tell.

As for tranny oil, Mobil makes a good synthetic transmission fluid and, if you don't mind having a little bit of the dark side in your car, GM Syncromesh is awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I do not have quite the same noise shifting into or out of second but there is something else that I wanted to figure out.

For example if I am going to make a turn and hold the clutch in and instead of going into like second gear I wait a second before letting the clutch out while in the turn if I am on rough road, it sounds almost like a clunk coming from the drive train.

So to recap, I am in netural coasting through a slow turn and if I am on a bumpy intersection I can hear the a noise from the drive train.

Almost like a clunk but a little more tinny sounding.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have that sound too. I figure it's probably coming from the same place as the other noise.

STILL waiting...on parts this time!!! haha!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-06-28 11:26, Mid Life Crisis #388 wrote:
I do not have quite the same noise shifting into or out of second but there is something else that I wanted to figure out.

For example if I am going to make a turn and hold the clutch in and instead of going into like second gear I wait a second before letting the clutch out while in the turn if I am on rough road, it sounds almost like a clunk coming from the drive train.

So to recap, I am in netural coasting through a slow turn and if I am on a bumpy intersection I can hear the a noise from the drive train.

Almost like a clunk but a little more tinny sounding.

Any ideas?

Thanks

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Talked to a couple experienced manual transmission guys and they seem to think the noise that I am hearing is the normal slack in the drive line. Figure to leave it alone for now, if something does need to be replaced then why not do it closer to the end of the factory warranty. Yeah Yeah, come around 35,000 miles and I think I am going to be hearing a lot more noises.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does it seem like the lower # Bullitt's are complaining of more problems ? I was told I should be happy that mine is # 2726, because they should have had more practice in assembling them at this point and worked out more of the bugs, and problems. Is there any truth or fact to this theory and are there in fact more problems and complaints with the lower #'s and less with the higher #'s?
Just Wondering?

Frank ( my real name ) Bullitt #2726 from Montvale, New Jersey also known as Wonderboy as in the KinKs song?

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
you might be right krankie and/or it could be "luck of the draw" too!
i've had a LOT (10 to 12)of little problems with mine but nothing major. mostly factory quality and fit and finish issues!! my # is 648. but some guys(1Nasty & others) have low numbers and NO problems!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts