Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may be on to something here.. Hypothetically that is. I was looking at JB Vobra's Dyno chart, especially the torque curve. Now if I'm not mistaken I should be shifting (according to the dyno) @ 5000 rpms as that's where the numbers drop below the curve of the lower RPM's correct? So if I was doing my shifting @ 6000, like I was all day when I went to the track, I was actually hurting my track times by winding the car out, correct?
What do you old time Drag racers think of this? Am I on the right track here?

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-04 12:44, Blakwing wrote:
I think I may be on to something here.. Hypothetically that is. I was looking at JB Vobra's Dyno chart, especially the torque curve. Now if I'm not mistaken I should be shifting (according to the dyno) @ 5000 rpms as that's where the numbers drop below the curve of the lower RPM's correct? So if I was doing my shifting @ 6000, like I was all day when I went to the track, I was actually hurting my track times by winding the car out, correct?
What do you old time Drag racers think of this? Am I on the right track here?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
I emailed JB VOBRA he said he was shifting at 6K because the car pulled all the way to 6K.
I have always followed a drag racers rule of thumb. Shift 10% greater then your peak TORQUE because the torque is what propells the car.
I took my BULLITT to a track here in Fla that had VERY bad tracion the best i could do was 14.5. I plan on going to a better track soon.
My BULLITT is almost equal to JB's BULLITT in HP @ TQ.

·
Registered
393 Posts
guys, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm fortunate to have a great track. Houston Raceway Park is pretty reknown for excellent prep (although the weather sucks right now). Far too many times people confuse great ET's being the result of power and shift quality when in reality it is traction that is the key.

But having said that, I feel confident that redline shifts are the way to go. I tried shifting a little lower in the band and had poor results. Believe me when I tell you, at least in my case, the car will run the fastest shifting near redline.

If you want good ET's, you had better be getting 2.1 60fts or less. Bogging or spinning excessively out of the hole and a resulting 2.2 or worse 60ft will KILL your times. And it is possible on the stock tires. I have several 60fts in the 2.0 range. My best came on the nittos, 1.96 (also the best ET of 13.72)

Drag racer rule of thumb: knock .2 off your 60ft and gain .4 on the ET. Forget about adding power until you learn how to launch.

1,169 Posts
Great Racing inf. Yes traction is evrything.I just received my M/T slicks I should have my wheels next week.I'm also installing a line lock.

(I'LL HOOK THIS BULLITT :-B )

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Traction off the line and thru 2nd gear is the key to make Bullitt deliver! I was amazed to see the times that MM&FF got out of their 01 Cobra test car on the stock tires...13.30s at around 104MPH !! Thats big block 60s Musclecar territory!! Don't be surprised if a complete Cobra engine doesn't end up in Bullitt 0503! Just wrap up the original and save for resto' time! No SC for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
at first i was shifting around 5800 when a budy of mine told me to try shifting at around 4500 i did so and went from a 9.7 to a 9.3 give or tak a 100 up or down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts