Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy with #5578 in all respects, but the cold engine knocking from 3,000-4,000 rpm is really starting to p*$# me off. Those of you experienceing this problem must either have it better than me or you must have a lot more patience. I don't see Ford rushing to our rescue with a fix and, meantime, it sounds like my engine's rattling apart.
At this point I don't care about numbers matching.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm close to being right there with you, Dennis. I can now hear it faintly even warmed up when I just feather it around 4000 or so.

Would you pick a 100K warranty or a new motor that might do the same?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have read that it is something like 1 in 500 4.6L engines will develop this PS problem. A .2% problem is pretty significant. Too many to tolerate in my opinion if they are really serious about customer satisfation. They owe you a new engine. Not a rebuild.

Same goes for the TR 3650. That tranny is a POS.

John

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went over the "Ticking, 1-2shift, Knocking" poll here and found 12 members who poated having problems with cold engine knocking...860, 1302, 1934, 2095, 2107, 2713, 2920, 3230, 3697, 5394, 5500, and of course my 5578. Out of 597 Bullitts here that makes 2%...but I think there are probably twice that number who have the problem and haven't noticed it (car in winter storage) or haven't posted in the poll yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-19 06:41, Dennis wrote:
I'm happy with #5578 in all respects, but the cold engine knocking from 3,000-4,000 rpm is really starting to p*$# me off. Those of you experienceing this problem must either have it better than me or you must have a lot more patience. I don't see Ford rushing to our rescue with a fix and, meantime, it sounds like my engine's rattling apart.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

you might get lucky like me and have a new motor installed.
I took it in and told them about the noise. actually i typed it out in plain english for the tech and the service writer.

Got a call this morning saying they are replacing the motor on the advice of the tech hotline.

in other words you might not have to demand anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
got black bullit #3855...ticking noise has been there since i drove it off lot...it is ticking all the time ...even if it warms up ...still there...1-2 has been stiff at time ...but havent noticed it that often...my car has 2250 miles on it and i lost my throwout bearing....started singing to me when car was in neutral and clutch petal was released...also had temp. selector replaced.....thats it so far

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have had absolutely no problems with my Bullitt to date and it is presently in winter storage. With only 1,526 miles on it, I am a little concerned about all the motor and transmission problems I have been reading about. I will be checking it pretty closely in the spring when I fire it up.

I hear a lot about the tranny 1-2 problems and would like to know specifically what the problem might be. Is it just a slight grind going into 2nd or what?

And also, how would you describe the knocking noise in the motor.... like low octane gas or is it more like the pistons trying to jump out of the car.

I would appreciate someone letting me know what to look for. Thanks a lot.

Bob

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,204 Posts
Bulittt, only a percentage of Bullitts seem to have these problems or any problems for that matter. Don't get worked up thinking that something may be wrong with #1737 when it may not be there! We have over 10,000 miles on #344 now and no tranny or engines problems thus far! (Well, we had to get a new power steering pump).

We too, had the hard shift from 1st to 2nd when she was breaking in but is fine now. Also reverse was a little harder to get then.

We will have something to look forward to this spring won't we! It will be almost like getting a new car all over again!

:bullitt:

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's right..... can hardly wait for winter to end. I will watch for signs of those problems and deal with them if they show up. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Wait for winter to end??? Go drive the car :wink: No way I could put mine away for the winter. Even with all the problems. I left 227 in the garage Monday cause it was raining and I had detailed the heck out of it Saturday. But today I drove it in the RAIM. What a kick to drive, even when it's wet;-)... No storage for me.

Happy Holidays.

Bud who already has a NEW motor from two blown head gaskets along with the front end repainted 4 times and one more to go

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dennis, I recall about a week after I brought my Bullitt home from the dealer that I started it up and it sounded like a diesel engine (like how it rattles). I immediately shut it down. Upon restarting it was fine. I sat there thinking WTF was that and wrote it off in my head as maybe I was having a bad day dream. It has never happened again. Let me go find some wood to knock on. I now have 3100 miles on it.

John

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-19 18:29, Dennis wrote:
I just went over the "Ticking, 1-2shift, Knocking" poll here and found 12 members who poated having problems with cold engine knocking...860, 1302, 1934, 2095, 2107, 2713, 2920, 3230, 3697, 5394, 5500, and of course my 5578. Out of 597 Bullitts here that makes 2%...but I think there are probably twice that number who have the problem and haven't noticed it (car in winter storage) or haven't posted in the poll yet.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well Dennis looks like the problem covers the entire production run from start to finish. Some regular GTs are also experienceing the same problem. Might cost form alot of $ to replace everyone's engine. Maybe we'll get a TSB....Then again may be told "that's normal".

At least I know I'm not the only one.

Jim

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well Bud, you probably would not be driving your Bullitt if you lived here and had the amount of snow/ice we have. I love the car and storage is a small price to pay for keeping it nice and free from damage/road salt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have this problem too!!

Maybe FORD should just take my car back and give me a new Mach 1 for the same price. I would be happy then.

BULLITT 444 only 4000 miles on it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts