Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a guy on the mach registry trying to trade his 03 cobra IRS for a solid rear out of a mach or a bullitt.. I have worked out a deal to swap the rear end out of my MACH 1 and also his bassani catback for my mgnaflow cat... The only kick is that I had hpp racing build my rear with 31 spline axels and 4:10 gears with posi tract... whats evryones thoughts on this?? also is there anyone with the IRS that can chime in on the good and bad, besides the famous wheel hop....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot to add that his rearend is completely stock with 3:55 gears....

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
What do you want Travis?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. You've already spent money on the axle you have making it much better than stock. Why go back to a stocker and wheel hop? Imo, the IRS in the Cobra doesn't do anything for a car that's street driven over the solid rear axle. At least to equal the cost involved. If it did, I be for it. But it doesn't. At least in my mind. Your car, your money.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
I believe the '03 Cobra has the carbon fiber clutch pack diff. with 31 spline axles. Correct?? Get him to cover or split the cost to swap gears for you. You can pick up a bushing kit that will help wheel hop from Maximum Motorsports. If you have lowering springs and he does not you will need new springs (and vice versa). Shocks are different too. The swap is supposed to be straight forward. Could start getting expensive.

I agree it won't make a ton of difference on the street but I hear the ride is a lot better.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
The ride on my present with irs is way better than my stock 01 Bullitt.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
The IRS is nice..had it on my 01 cobra.....but i think the swap is a little more complicated then i wud want to go thru....my 2 cents...ok.....

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stripnzinc said:
There is a guy on the mach registry trying to trade his 03 cobra IRS for a solid rear out of a mach or a bullitt.. I have worked out a deal to swap the rear end out of my MACH 1 and also his bassani catback for my mgnaflow cat... The only kick is that I had hpp racing build my rear with 31 spline axels and 4:10 gears with posi tract... whats evryones thoughts on this?? also is there anyone with the IRS that can chime in on the good and bad, besides the famous wheel hop....
Travis,

You did ask US what WE thought, right ???????????

KEEP what YOU HAVE !!!!!!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
PM Graves. Didn't he just do the same swap?

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys..:smile: Im still up in the air on this and more or less leaning in the idea of just keeping what I have on my mach.. To me I think I would b trading down with all the money I spent on my rearend.....:wink:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Travis,

I agree, keep what you have already put good money into. It is a good setup and going to a stock IRS may be a bit more comfy on the street (potholes), you will hate it on the strip or any street racing you may or may not do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts