Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Side emblem replacement question

487 views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  GT-A 03 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I want to replace the side emblems on my GT. Has anyone done this? My question is: what do you use to re-attach the new emblems? Would it be double-sided tape or a glue of some sort. I'm sure that whatever it is, it has to be rather strong. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
KO

#2 ·
yes double sided tape is whats used.....to take the old ones off, heat them up a bit with a hair dryer and they should pull off fairly easily, then (mostly all emblems come with the tape already on them) just stick the new ones on, that simple!

#3 ·
Thanks! Sounds easy enough. I don't think the new ones will come with tape since they're from a '67, but I'll bet I can make them work on my '03.

Thanks again.
KO

#6 ·
rblack4405 said:
I used dental floss in a back and forth motion to remove the badges.

It works!!! I did the same thing. A little heat would have made it go a bit faster for me but it still only took about 1/2 hour to do both emblems...

#7 ·
So I bought a roll of 3M heavy duty double sided tape tonight. I think it will be strong enough, I just wonder what will happen when it gets wet. These emblems were quite expensive and I'd hate to lose one! If this is what everyone has used, I have to believe it will be good enough.

#8 ·
KevTrish said:
So I bought a roll of 3M heavy duty double sided tape tonight. I think it will be strong enough, I just wonder what will happen when it gets wet. These emblems were quite expensive and I'd hate to lose one! If this is what everyone has used, I have to believe it will be good enough.

I believe You'll be fine. The paint on your car provides an ideal surface for the tape-not porous at all. I'm not sure which emblems you are going to install but I know others have installed older metal emblems and so far I haven't read about anybody's coming off. You'll have to post up pics of the emblems when you are done....
P.S.-I got home from Stamford today and it was so nice I snuck in one more cruise in the Bullitt....bonus time!!!

#10 ·
Oh, I remember the days of having to put away my convertible ('57 Chevy) and my boat because of winter. Time to dig the snow-blower out and tune it up. I say again: I miss those days...NOT! I love being in Florida. Big car show in Daytona this weekend. I like being able to drive my cars year-round.

I hope we can get together if I make it back to Maine next summer. Thanks for the emblem advice.

KO

#11 ·
Thanks Greg.

I bought a set of '67 GT-A emblems for it. Since it's an automatic anyway I thought they would look nice. I think the red on the emblems will look good against the gray. We'll see.

#13 ·
KevTrish said:
Oh, I remember the days of having to put away my convertible ('57 Chevy) and my boat because of winter. Time to dig the snow-blower out and tune it up. I say again: I miss those days...NOT! I love being in Florida. Big car show in Daytona this weekend. I like being able to drive my cars year-round.

I hope we can get together if I make it back to Maine next summer. Thanks for the emblem advice.

KO
Did the snow-blower thing before we went away for Thanksgiving. Luckilly I dont have to take the Bullitt anywhere, I just keep it at home in the garage under a cover. My wife's car gets the other side of the garage and my daily ride stays out. Small price to pay to have the Bullitt...If you come up next summer or anytime consider yourself invited! If you can't get to Bford we could figure something out if you have time...

#14 ·
Is that where you are, Biddeford? I ran the Steego Auto Parts store in Saco for several years (and the one in Portland for 8 years). I also worked at Prime Toyota for a few years. I used to get around the Biddeford area quite a bit.

#15 ·
KevTrish said:
Is that where you are, Biddeford? I ran the Steego Auto Parts store in Saco for several years (and the one in Portland for 8 years). I also worked at Prime Toyota for a few years. I used to get around the Biddeford area quite a bit.

Small world indeed! I have, over the last 12 years bought parts from steego locations, sold tires to Parts Depot, and had our Camry serviced at Prime.....Go figure!!:cool:

#16 ·
droopysbullitt said:
Sounds cool! show them off when you get them on!
Okay, this is how they came out. I'll take some better shots in the day light.

I didn't want to damage the emblems by grinding off the studs on the back, so I drilled 2 very small holes in the fender. The nice thing is, if I need to remove them, the original GT emblems will cover the holes nicely. I ended up using the barrel nuts that came with the emblems AND double sided tape. I don't want to take any chances given what I paid for these! (Note how the metallic paint photographs with a flash)

Let me know what you think everyone!

KO

Attachments

#19 ·
Not to hijack this thread or anything...but are the emblems attached by just the double sided tape? Ive been thinking of shaving the GT emblems off of the car for awhile, but i remember awhile back someone said that there are holes in the fender where the emblems go. Is this true or can I shave the side emblems without any problems?

#20 ·
There were 2 alignment holes under the GT badge. One big and a smaller one over that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.