Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you share my thoughts that the Bullitt is very similar in character to the Boss 302? The low production figures and suspension goodies separate it from other Stangs. Obviously the Boss was not as "undercover" to say the least, but it is a very special car like the Bullitt. Thoughts? :grin:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Maybe. The Boss certainly handled well, but talking with older guys who actually rode in them, that 302 was pretty powerful & could handle most challenges from other muscle cars. Of course, the Bullitt can handle pretty much anything on the road nowadays, too. I guess that's not too much of a stretch.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
having been an original owner of a 70 boss 302 that I owned until 1988 and now dhg 1994, there are a lot of similarities. they both were the best handling, best braking mustangs of there time... while not the most powerful they certainly hold their own against just about anyone. A certain type
( more particular ? )of car/mustang owner appreciates the overall balance of the car and the ''uniqueness''. Still there are distinct differences: the feel is totally different in accelleration thru the 1/4..in my opinion the bullitt is quicker but it sure doesn't feel like it after running both cars back to back. a few months back at ennis dhg 1994 ran a best of 14.04 while a friends boss 302 with 3;50 rear (me driving also) ran a 14.27 but at a higher trap speed. both cars 100% stock and original. the boss felt like I killed the bullitt but in reality, it didn't. As for daily driving... I can remember the boss as a daily driver for some 8 years in new york and semi daily for the next 10 years after I moved to texas (daily except in summer months and ice storms) it was all you could ask of a car and then some but in all honesty, doesn't measure up to the bullitt in that department... as for the quirks we are having with our bullitts ... the boss had hers too ,,, remember the piston skirts cracking? lets not get into quality control back then either since for all intents and purposes it was non existant. the reason I bought the BULLITT was the exact same reason I bought the BOSS back in 70.... perfect balance of looks/performance/price and it fit the way I drive to a tee. I still miss my boss like crazy...wish I had her back.... but only as an addition to the bullitt not as a replacement for her..

·
Premium Member
8,776 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I grew up in Dearborn and during '69-'71, Mach 1's were quite plentiful (like the current GT). Boss 302's were relatively rare in the Detroit area and they tended to not be modified. However, it's stance and sound made it stand out. They (Boss 302's) also seemed to be owned by older types. As far as performance, there was always a SS 396 Camaro/Nova or 440 Road Runner that could handle a Boss 302, at least in a straight line.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are awesome! I still own my 70 Boss and I echo everthing that you say about them. I bought my Boss due to the fact that as a child, my older brother owned one brand new. The sound of the solid lifters, the unique exhaust and the low rake of the suspension and roof line made the Boss a special car. I saw all of that and more in the Bullitt making it a natural fit. The speeds are a totally different experience. I have 3:91's in the Boss and other than headers it is fairly stock. The Boss originally felt a lot quicker but as said, that is not the case. It is awesome being able to have both right now. The Bullitt is truly a great Mustang. Thanks! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bosses and bullitts on 2002-01-25 01:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I never had the chance to drive a Boss 302, but I did drive a '70 Cougar Eliminator with a Boss 302.

It was pretty quick and would run toe to toe with my best friend's '68 Z-28. :smile:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
nasty, your pic reminds me of a resturant in manassass VA cald Chubys, all the clasic cruz there. before chubys it was jerry's subs that all the classics would go to. I miss it. sucks being away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts