Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Simple oil question...

598 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  wally05 
There have been countless debates and such about this on www.allfordmustangs.com. Basically, the timing setup on the s197 v6 and v8 engines is pretty oil weight specific. Some people had major timing problems with oils like Mobil1, Royal purple (I think that was the name) and so on and so forth. Some people didn't... Every engine is a little different, I'm sure. And yes, for all you guys that are going to call bs... these runs were several dyno runs with differing oils from different owners across the states. They had problems, they switched oils, it cleared up. Timing is effected by viscosity and specific brands of oils.

But, what most owners and such have agreed on is that you should stick to the oem recommendations for awhile until you put some good mileage on it, then experiment a little. I only use motorcraft 5w20 and motorcraft filters when I do changes. If I ever do change brands, I will listen really closely for a bit to make sure everything is okay and then I'll keep using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.