Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Was up in the canyon today rippin it and car started to squeal from the belt. Car started smoking from the driver side. Pulled over immediately, popped the hood and coolant was spraying everywhere. It wasn鈥檛 dripping, it was spraying hard like sprinkler. Rolled down from the canyon watching the temp gauge and it鈥檚 normal. Just got home, shut the car off and started to inspect. Couldn鈥檛 see at first and was checking all the wrong areas. After about 5 mins, found the issue. Power steering pulley ended up slicing up the lower radiator hose. The lower hose is really close to the steering pulley and when you are making hard turns, motor mount flexes, pulley ends up touching this hose. WTH, I even have the CHE torque links. I don鈥檛 know how long this been going on but just wanted to let you guys know so you are all aware. My motor mounts and trans mount are all brand new, might think about getting a set of solid mounts or give a little more space for that lower radiator hose. Fun times. LOL

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just wanted to add that it鈥檚 been about a month since I went canyon carving. I swapped the Ford Performance rear poly lower arms for MM spherical rod end arms. You can鈥檛 really notice the difference on the street but in the canyon when pushing it, yes, you can notice a big difference. I suggest going this route from the beginning if you are doing any sort of track or hard canyon runs. 馃憤馃憤

Premium Member
Maybe a differently shaped hose that would give more clearance? Maybe a smaller dia. pulley? Just thoughts...

Thanks for the heads up...

Car Whisperer
interesting. great info for everyone. thanks for posting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Installed the new hose. So there is actual bracket that hold the lower radiator hose. The hose expended and got soft over the years and came out from that bracket. So I used another clamp to make sure that never happens again. See pics

Attachments

Premium Member
And the end result is even better info! Thanks for posting the whole ordeal.

Reactions: pwd72s

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So again, not knowing any better I used worm clamps on the radiator hose ends. Come to find out this is frowned upon. I sent couple pics to my tech and was told to put the factory clamps back on otherwise I will break the neck off the plastic end of the radiator due to heat and expansion. The clamp that I put on the bracket is fine but he would also like to see some rubber insulation around the clamps so it won鈥檛 cut into the new hose. Now I gotta drain the fluid and do it all over. I just hate those factory spring clamps. SMH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts