Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always puzzled me that Ford put a 12V receptacle right in the middle of the dash in S197s. In most other cars they are in less conspicuous spots low on the dash. Well it turns out Ford had a better idea and so did the guy who came up with this great idea to mount a GPS in S197s. I saw this installation at a car show last week, and I modified it slightly to suit my Tomtom.

I got a cigarette lighter adapter with a mini USB connector at Radio Shack. I filed the soft rubber grip level with the plastic casing and simply glued to it the plastic disc which is supposed to be glued on the dash. I outlined the adaptor on the paper covering the pressure adhesive and removed that section.

You stick the bracket suction cup to the plastic disc and you have a complete assembly. You plug in the adapter in the 12V receptacle and it sits in the perfect location to view and change screens, and it recharges as you go. :smile:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Luc T said:
......I filed the soft rubber grip level with the plastic casing and simply glued to it the plastic disc which is supposed to be glued on the dash. I outlined the adaptor on the paper covering the pressure adhesive and removed that section.
I like it, but I'm not quite following what you did when you filed the grip. Can you explain a bit? :question:

Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MustangSallie said:
Very nice indeed! Is that dust on your dash? (Just kidding) :)

Do you prefer TomTom over Garmin, Magellan, etc?
Pollen ... Windy lately. You leave the window down for a minute and looks like you dicharged a drychem extinguisher in the car...

This is my first GPS so I have no basis for comparison. It was a Christmas gift from my wife (she is fully aware of my navigational skills :lol: and I dont ask for directions :rolleyes: .

I tried to get Tomtom accessories to do this mod and after making phone calls and trying to purchase on line and coming empty handed, I went to Future Shop to ask how I could get a spare 12V adapter. While I was at it I aked him which was best. Here is what the "young" guy had to say, and if you cant believe the kid at Future Shop who can you believe :badgrin: :

For Base models, Garmin is superior, has more features. Top of the line Tomtom is better. Garmin accessories are readily available at stores but Tomtom wants customers to use their website to order accessories.

I am used to the Tomtom and as the ad says it is the best in the Worldworld. Just dont try to get accessories:wink:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
insano said:
I like it, but I'm not quite following what you did when you filed the grip. Can you explain a bit? :question:

Mike
This is a universal adapter and if you look at the picture which shows the underside, the black area in the center is made of soft rubber to grip the adapter when you insert and remove it, the grey part is hard plastic, I will call it casing for lack of a better word. The soft black rubber grip is convex so the adhesive on the flat disk would only grab a 1/4 in. or so in the middle. I filed the convex part flat and level to casing. Now the disc glues to an area roughly one sqare inch, which should stand up to repeated removals of the assembly from the receptacle.

Some adapters have flat plastic sides so you dont have to file the grip flat. The installation I copied from was more permanent: the guy glued the suction cup of bracket directly onto the 12V adapter. I looked to me like he J&B welded it.... aint never coming off.

Hope this helps Mike.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Luc T said:
This is a universal adapter and if you look at the picture which shows the underside, the black area in the center is made of soft rubber to grip the adapter when you insert and remove it, the grey part is hard plastic, I will call it casing for lack of a better word. The soft black rubber grip is convex so the adhesive on the flat disk would only grab a 1/4 in. or so in the middle. I filed the convex part flat and level to casing. Now the disc glues to an area roughly one sqare inch, which should stand up to repeated removals of the assembly from the receptacle.

Some adapters have flat plastic sides so you dont have to file the grip flat. The installation I copied from was more permanent: the guy glued the suction cup of bracket directly onto the 12V adapter. I looked to me like he J&B welded it.... aint never coming off.

Hope this helps Mike.
Your install looks GREAT !!!!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Hope the person who thought up this idea gets recognized for it. Seldom is an installation practical, tidy and.... cheap :wink: :wink: :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.