Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was driving the Bullitt today and noticed the shifter seemed to have extra play in it. This is while it’s in gear and its front to back play, maybe and inch to an inch and a half. It feels really loose. I have the Hurst Billet Plus shifter and I don’t remember having this much play in it. I don’t drive the car to much, once a week and can’t remember if it was this loose or not. I’m wondering if the plastic piece that goes on the shifter from the stock one might have split and come off inside the transmission. If some one could check the play in their shifter and post here I’d appreciate it. In any case, the shifter is coming out tonight for inspection.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Hey Hank,

Check the bolts that hold the handle on to the shifter. Mine have come loose before and caused the exact sloppiness that you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Perry

I will definitely be checking the handle bolts before removing the shifter. :wink: Hope that is the case as I don't look forward to breaking the seal between shifter and tranny.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update...all is well now

On the drive home from work things got worse. I could definitely tell the shift handle was getting sloppier and sloppier. Turns out the bolts had worked their way loose. Thank goodness they are long and extend through the handle and stub of the shifter so there was no danger of the handle coming off. I put Loctite on them and tightened the bolts as much as possible given they use a small Allen wrench for the heads. :smile:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Sounds like you almost ended up with the ultimate short-throw shifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts